Pre-teens and Cell Phones - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Pre-teens and Cell Phones

One of the children in the family got a cell phone...and I hope no one noticed my jaw dropping to the floor. I know I'm very traditional, but I think she's far too young at 11 years old to get a cell phone. I think Mom and Dad are being a bit naive.

One of our members (not posting lately) gave one to her 14 year old. I said the same thing...Isn't he a bit young? She said he just wanted to text his friends. Well, she was shocked when she saw some of the texts! She went looking for him, and he and the girl next door were hiding and giggling in the shrubs next door. That was the end of the cell phone.

She's one of those moms who wants to be a "cool mom," a friend, who happens to be your mom. Unfortunately, her son is now breaking her heart. He's tried everything a young kid shouldn't, and is failing the school year. I feel so sorry for her. She was so sure she was doing the right thing with her permissiveness.

I don't want this to happen in the family, and I don't think 11 year olds need cell phones. Her parents say, "she just wants to text the family." "Who else would she text?" Where have I heard that before? Most of us have heard what goes on in middle school locker rooms and busses. It's frightening!

Be a mother; that's cool enough.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Re: Pre-teens and Cell Phones

14 is fine... 11 is on dodgy ground.

Unless the kid is exceptionally smart/mature, I would agree with you.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Hugh, 14 can be a very dangerous age. Every teacher and most parents know that adolescence is a confusing age. You love your parents; you hate your parents; you like your teacher; your teacher is unfair and cruel. You can't wait to leave home; you want to stay in your room all the time. You want to be a doctor; you want to just hang out. It's the age of confusion. And hormones are flaming.

Guess who did her student teaching in Middle School? If I thought that was tough, subbing 9th. graders (14 years old) made it look like Disneyland!

I like teens; I really do. The problem is that a few rotten apples can spoil the barrel. One on one? They're fine. They're good kids! But in a roomful of trouble makers, they often say nothing. You know that with me as a sub, the trouble makers didn't get away with anything! It's not fun to handle, though. Some days were great, but I was very happy to get my own classroom!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness

I didnt get a mobile phone until i was 14 or 15. I remember everyone at school had a mobile except me so i used to bring a toy phone (that looked convincingly like a real phone) so i could fit in. LOL! Alot of the girls caught a train home so i guess its for their parents peace of mind which i think is fair enough.

Sincerely, Krystle.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Banned

All I know is if I had a 15 year old, I'd much rather know where they are and have them send saucy texts to eachother than not know where they are and have them send saucy emails to eachother.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

I would give an 11 year old one of those phones that you can be programmed with only something like 3 numbers that can be called. This way they have the ability to call home if they need a ride, have an emergency and I could get hold of him/her if I needed to. No texting, no internet, no camera, no free reign to call anyone they want.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

That would be perfect. I had no idea such things existed.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

Kids with cell phones is nuts. Who do they need to call that can't wait anyway? A kid who's got a driver's license and is out their on his/her own I can see it for emergencies or for letting Mom and Dad know they're going to be home late, but not anybody any younger. All they're going to do is run up huge bills texting nonsense back and forth. Those parents ought to be putting that money away for their retirement, not wasting it on 11-year olds keeping in touch.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I would give an 11 year old one of those phones that you can be programmed with only something like 3 numbers that can be called. This way they have the ability to call home if they need a ride, have an emergency and I could get hold of him/her if I needed to..
Why in heaven's name would an 11-year-old even be in a situation where they'd even need to ability to do that?
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Cat Addict

My child is nearly thirteen. He will not have his own cell phone, nor uncontrolled access to the internet for a good long time. He doesn't have an email address. He doesn't get to text. None of it.

I feel very strongly about it.

Don't get me started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page