Neighbor's Dog... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Neighbor's Dog...

So, My3babies and I are fostering a puppy. Well, she's fostering and I'm helping out (and providing the living space).

We live in a townhouse. My townhouse is an end unit. I have a small grassy area in front of my house and a small grassy area on the side of my house. The back of my house is another house.

I'm REALLY worried about having dead spots and poop everywhere on my grass. So, M3B has been working diligently to clean up all the poop and trying to get Roxy to pee in a different place all the time (not right on one spot).

I'm frustrated because, apparently, the people behind me have recently gotten a dog. They let the dog outside alone, no tie-out or leash, no collar or tags. It has been going in my side yard and in the front of both my house and the neighbor's next to my house (we share a driveway). This is NOT going to help the quality of my yard. I really try to keep it looking nice and we work so hard cleaning up after our own dog...I don't appreciate this behavior. Grrr....

Does anyone have any suggestions about what we should do? I'm REALLY not good with confrontation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Neighbor's Dog...

Four solutions:

First, check to see if there are leash laws in your area and then call Animal Control. Explain the problem and see if AC would go and speak to the neighbor about keeping their dog on a leash and on their property so you wouldn't have to get involved with a neighbor-dispute.

Second, does your townhome neighborhood have an HOA? Perhaps you could explain your dillema to them and have them contact that neighbor so you wouldn't have to get involved with a neighbor-dispute.

Third, speak to the neighbor yourself and tell them you are trying to keep your yard looking nice by controlling your own puppy and picking up its' waste and would appreciate them keeping their dog under control and out of your yard.

Finally, scoop up the other dog's poop into a bag and take it to the neighbor and tell them "You let your dog out and forgot to pick these up. They belong to you." Then, either hand them the bag or dump the bag at their feet.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Heidi, you made me laugh out loud. I like option 4. In fact, I'll bring them Roxy's poop too. I'll tell them, since your dog is in my yard and this poop was in my yard...it might belong to your dog and I thought you'd want it back.

I'll just leave it there for them by their front door, but not the baggie, that would be littering!

Did I mention that Roxy has had diarrhea lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittys Mom
Did I mention that Roxy has had diarrhea lately?
No, you didn't. ...and I wouldn't leave the poop "by their door", they may miss it. Spread it out in a wide layer in FRONT of their door so they are sure not to miss it. I think they would appreciate your thoughtfulness.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just to make sure they don't miss it, do you have any Christmas bows left over?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I DO! Good idea Marie.

The funny part is, the poop doesn't bother me as much as the pee (at least it doesn't in winter). It's frozen and easy to spot on top of the snow. We're out there picking up Roxy's anyway. The pee is worse. Other people in my complex have dogs and come spring, their yards are completely dead. The grass has to be taken out and new sod placed down or seeded. And, it has to be done by the owner, not the landscape company (they just mow and weedwack).

I'm worried enough about Roxy's influence on my grass. I don't need to add another dog to that! Plus, Roxy pees on the ground, this is a boy dog...he's trying to kill my arbor vitae (pretty tree vs. leg lifter).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Premier Cat

I always thought the grass had more trouble with un-spayed female dog urine. Spayed and neutered didn't seem to bother our grass much. I am noticing the same thing with my horses. The gelding's pee didn't seem to have much affect...but the MARES! Oy! And horses pee a LOT.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

you could keep a small watering can at the door and whenever you take her out to pee, water on top of it to dilute it out. I have a pet sitting client who have a spayed female lab that apparently leaves horrid urine burn spots on the lawn so they have me "water" the places she pees whenever we go in the back yard.

As for the neighbor... ditto the animal control and HOA phone calls first. Some people are really oblivious to the fact that not everyone appreciates the freedom they allow their dog. A simple reminder can be very helpful. Of course, some people are jerks and won't care. Lets hope that's not the case... and if it is, you can always resort to returning the poo to them

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Premier Cat

Just be thankful you don't have the dog from next door barking at 3 am, ten feet from your bedroom window.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
Just be thankful you don't have the dog from next door barking at 3 am, ten feet from your bedroom window.
Ooooh! I'd have that neighbor's phone number and I'd be calling every time their dog woke me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page