The weather is messing with what little social life we have - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The weather is messing with what little social life we have

Ken's office Christmas party is this evening at the Country Club just outside the city limits. Well, of course, wouldn't you know it, it's been snowing like crazy today with the winds approximately 10-15 mph now, expected to get up to 25 to 30 mph sometime this evening.

We had a babysitter all lined up to watch the kids tonight and everything but she lives on the complete opposite end of town we do and the particular area she lives in is not well maintained by the road crews, especially late at night.

So, with all this happening Ken and I have decided to back out of his Christmas party to stay home safe and warm in our house. Obviously, it's the better thing to do but I'm frustrated because Ken and I don't have much of a social life at all as far as visiting with other couples and this is one of the few times a year we really enjoy getting together with people. I was especially looking forward to visiting with a fellow high school graduate of mine. Her husband works with Ken.

What's really bizarre is the reason that they (the office) has not gone ahead and postponed the party. The country club won't refund their money for the food even when the weather is at issue. So far Ken has talked to tons of people in the office and it sounds like we're the only ones who aren't going so far. I can't believe all those people are willing to risk it for a night out! This place is a few miles out of town and there is about a half mile gravel driveway to go down into the place.

Oh well! Guess I'll be spending another weekend night here at home. I'm so ready for winter to be over with. I can handle the cold; it's the snow that always gets in the way of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: The weather is messing with what little social life we have

I can't stand the cold either! I'm sorry you didn't get to attend the party. Perhaps you two should plan a night out with some friends, to make up for the party you missed. We had some wind warnings in PA too, but they weren't as bad as expected.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop

at least ya'll will be safe at home with the kids. ya know after they go to bed, ya'll can have your own office party! good luck and stay warm!

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Premier Cat

I agree, better to be safe! Bummer about all the crappy weather! Like Jeanie said, you'll have to plan some nights out with friends when the weather clears, to make up for all this missing out that's happening.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Cool Cat

Do you have snow tires for your car? Since I drive a small rear-wheel-drive sports car all year long, I swap tires in November and put Blizzaks (ice tires) on the car. It makes a HUGE difference, because you suddenly have tons more handling, traction, and stopping ability. It's like swapping your sneakers for winter boots to make it easier to get around outside. I've gotten snow tires for every car I've owned in the last ten years, and I will continue to do so for every car I own that's not four wheel drive. It's not too expensive, it's totally worth it for your peace of mind, and it certainly keeps you from being trapped in your home in the snow and ice. I can understand that many people simply want nothing to do with driving in lousy weather, but sometimes you get stuck in it or you simply have to get somewhere.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page