New Star Trek movie! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

New Star Trek movie!

OO! it looks good! I'm glad Paramount stopped being illogical. Does anyone know when it comes out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Re: New Star Trek movie!

May 2009 - the trailer has been out since early November'08

use google - you'll find ton's of stuff about it all over the web,

search: star trek 2009
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Oh I have seen them all every since Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released in 1979. So I am definitely looking forward to this one.

One thing that is very promising to me is that Richard K Berman and Brannon Braga are not part of this new movie. Some of their distortions of the Roddenberry universe were...well...stupid. Timelines and events were messed up and it was most noticeable in First Contact. I also wish that when Nemesis was released, the transphasic torpedoes from the Voyager finale would have come into play.

What would be nice to see is a Deep Space Nine movie. I always wondered just what truly became of Cpt Sisko after he went into the realm of The Prophets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Do you subscribe to the STRANGERS FROM THE SKY first contact scenario,Donald?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk
Do you subscribe to the STRANGERS FROM THE SKY first contact scenario,Donald?
I have never read that.

What I do subscribe to is the storyline of Zefram Cochrane as told in the original series. In the original episode, Cochrane was much younger and was residing (though not necessarily born) in the Alpha Centauri system. Cochrane was also much younger and of a more stable mindset. Now coming to the World According to Braga/Berman, Cochrane never left Earth, was much older, and is an alcoholic! HUH? As far as I am concerned, events from the original series are to be considered canon and the writers should work around that. The dynamic duo of Braga and Berman should have left that alone. Ok, as far as the age thing, it would have been hard to have James Cromwell, who was 56 at the time the movie was released, look like a convincing 40 year old. But that's the magic of a makeup artist.

Other things that Tweedledum and Tweedledummer(sic) did was to redo the warp scale. Saying that Warp 10 was unattainable under the new scale while in the originals, the Enterprise got hurled to Warp 14.1??? Why do they feel that they had to undo everything Roddenberry created as if they knew more? I mean, expand upon Roddenberry's universe but do not rewrite it.

And I will not go into that debacle known as Star Trek: Generations. Come on Berman, you mean to tell me that the Enterprise cannot detect a chemically powered rocket from a planet's surface and destroy it (while it is traveling at sublight speeds) before it detonates in a star???

Hopefully the new writers will give more respect to the Roddenberry universe...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

In STRANGERS FROM THE SKY Kirk,and Spock read a book about 1st contact called...STRANGERS FROM THE SKY...and basically start suffering from flashbacks of events which never happened. The premise is,the Vulcans splash down on 21st century earth,right after WW3, Khan,etc. I won't spoil it,but the question is raised: What do you do when REAL history doesn't fit into a nice schoolbook timeline...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page