Spinoff: Favorite action flicks - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Spinoff: Favorite action flicks

In the "supporting actors" thread, the movie "Shoot 'Em Up" was mentioned, and I replied:

Quote:
Oh man, "Shoot 'Em Up" was pretty much the most perfect movie ever made. Hot leading man, unexpected wit, more bullets per minute than any other movie in existence. And Paul Giamatti!
Action has always been my favorite genre, ever since I discovered the Die Hard movies in high school. I can't stomach the realistic violence that seems to be fodder for horror movies, but gratuitous action-violence is right up my alley. I'm always looking for a few good recommendations!

Among my favorites:
"Mr and Mrs Smith" - If "Shoot 'Em Up" is ALMOST perfect, this one is perfect. Seriously.
The "Die Hard" series - Deities wept when "Die Hard 4" was released as PG-13. Thank goodness for DVD.
The "Transporter" movies - Okay, they weren't that great. But Jason Statham was. And always is.
"The Matrix" - The second and third weren't nearly as good as the first. Rather wish they hadn't made 'em.
"Kill Bill" - Stylized and slick, with a fair bit of humor. I'm not a Tarantino fan, but I liked this.

And a nod for a new release, "Death Race". Another Jason Statham flick that doesn't pretend to be what it isn't. It's an action flick about post-apocalyptic car racing, a sort of futuristic Mario Kart to the death. The plot is skimpy, but it has car racing, big guns, and muscle-bound Statham doing pull-ups while shirtless. All of this makes it okay with me.

(When the movie started, I think I lasted about ten minutes before I declared "Less talking! Time for Jason to take off his shirt!" My husband laughed... and laughed harder when Statham's shirt came about off thirty seconds later. Can I call 'em or what? )

Oh, my thrills are so few and far between. I am but a simple woman...

Anyone else with some favorites? Post away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Spinoff: Favorite action flicks

ALL of the ones you listed!
Statham rocks!
Wanted was pretty good for action sequences, though I found the storyline a bit hard to follow at times.
Jumper was also very good.

From my collection:
Armageddon
The Big Hit
Bourne movies
Con Air
Crank
Desperado
Fast/Furious
Gladiator
Gone in 60 Seconds
Independence Day
Iron Man
Italian Job
Jurassic Park movies
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Legend/Mask of Zorro
LOTR movies
Mr & Mrs Smith
The Mummy movies
Ocean's movies
Pirates of the Caribbean movies
Pitch Black
Planet of the Apes
Reign of Fire
The Rock
Saharra
Scorpion King
Shooter
Shoot 'Em Up
Terminator movies (1&2, don't have 3)
Tomb Raider movies
Timeline
Transporter movies
Troy
Van Helsing
Zathura
, though I really wouldn't call it an 'action' movie, it did have a lot of momentum to carry you through the entire move.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Banned

Let's see here...

Most of Arnold's action movies like Predator, Raw Deal, etc. The Running Man is my favorite of his films.

The original First Blood.
Mad Max
Mad Max II (aka The Road Warrior)
Demolition Man
V For Vendetta
The Car

Right now, I cannot think of any more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

"Die Hard" was great! I also enjoyed the Bourne Series. I like the plots in "No Way Out," "The Firm," etc., the kind of film in which there is a hopeless situation which, somehow, the protagonist overcomes!

I don't like Tarentino movies at all. I got bored with "Pulp Fiction," and "Hostel Part ll" was awful. I'll know better next time...gratuitous violence.

Last night I watched an independent film, "Bug," which is one of the most stupid movies I've ever seen. What a waste of time.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

I love action movies! Lots of great movies listed.

Wanted was terrific; great action and special effects.

I have always been a big fan of comic book movies, most recently Iron Man and The Dark Knight.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Pulp Fiction was the best of Tarantino's films. Kill bill Vol. 1 and 2 come in close.

All the Die Hard films were great, as were all the Bourne films.

First Matrix film was pretty good, but only a supergeek could understand the other two
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
All the Die Hard films were great...
You cannot be serious about that, can you? Really Hugh??? How many pints have you had tonight?

Die Hard 3 stunk! Jeremy Irons' character was so...wooden. He certainly was nothing like Alan Rickman's character in DH1. The movie really seemed quite...contrived. I honestly felt like it was similar to Speed the year before.

And that reminds me. Some of my other choices are:
Speed 1 and 2
Judge Dredd
Robocop series
Death Wish movies
Exterminator 1 and 2

Exterminator 2, for such a very cheap and stereotypical death wish ripoff was original in the means used to dispatch the bad guys.

edit: Blade Runner!!!

That movie is a classic. Maybe not full of gratuitous violence and bullets galore, but it is so well done. That is a movie that I always enjoy watching and in fact, I may watch it later tonight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Really, Don? Because I think Alan Rickman is ridiculously wooden. I spent a long time trying very hard to be a fan of his, and I've seen about a dozen of his films, but he's so bland in most of them.

On the whole, I thought Die Hard 1 was the best in the series, and Die Hard 2 was, by far, the worst. The other two amused me muchly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

A perfect example of a movie type I like is The Net. Of course, I like Sandra Bullock. Another one is one of Stephen Spielberg's first, "Duel," with Dennis Weaver. It was excellent! If you haven't seen it, by all means rent it. You won't be sorry.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page