Christmas trees you replant after the holidays - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Christmas trees you replant after the holidays

How um... hardy are they?

Long story short, I'm pet sitting for someone who is out of the country for 6-8 weeks. The MORNING she left we finally went over the details... I'm doing more tending to her house and bills than actual pet sitting and was not expecting so much to do.

Anyway - even though she left two weeks before Christmas, she still put up a tree and decorations that a friend was supposed to take down and put away after Christmas. Every year, she gets a Christmas tree with roots in a pot that you can replant after the holidays are over.

Well, she never actually mentioned care instructions for the tree. I'll be honest, I never go in the living room so the first couple of weeks I forgot about it. But even now, I've been watering it every few days with no luck. The water rolls of the top of the root sack thing and poors onto the floor. Its in a metal bucket, so I also try to fill up the bucket with water but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Needless to say the tree is almost no needles left on it (oh the job I'm going to have cleaning this mess up!!) but I worry that the tree itself is never going to recover. Its now the middle of January and no word about when this guy is coming to take the tree outside. I'm taking off the decorations now and plan on gently shaking off as much of the needles as are left and try to take the stupid tree out myself so I can at least water it with a hose.

What are my chances that this poor tree will survive??

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Christmas trees you replant after the holidays

...it isn't looking good... Are there ANY green needles on it?

Can you manage to get it outside, or in the garage where it would be cool/cold but protected? I'd only put it in the garage if there was a window for light. Maybe put it outside the house in a protected (winds) area and try to give it a good watering. If it doesn't make it...it was the responsibility of the other person they had lined up and not something I think you should worry about.
h

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

There's no garage here.

Plus, its too heavy for me to move. I could manage to slide it across the wood floor but wasn't able to get it over the door jam and out the front door. So now its sitting in the middle of the living room looking sad.

The only needles that are left are on the back branches that I didn't touch while removing ornaments and lights. The lights were a nightmare.

I guess I just assume that even if the outer branches are dead, the "core" so to speak could still have some chance at life. Maybe not initially, but by next year the needles could grow back? I mean the roots couldn't possibly have completely died in 4 weeks could they? Its not like it wasn't getting ANY water, just not much.

I've never actually seen one of these set ups before but this just seems wrong to me. The bundle that is wrapped around the tree is twice as tall as the metal bucket that is around it, and there is maybe half an inch of space between the top of the bucket and the root bundle. To me, the bucket should have been much larger.

Even now, with nothing around the tree, its still impossible to water. I have to SLOWLY drip water over the top or it doesn't have time to soak through the material and just drips over the edge - not even into the bucket but onto the floor.

I wasn't all that concerned about it being outside because we've had such mild weather, but I think its finally supposed to be freezing temperatures this week. There's nowhere for it to go outside and not be completely exposed. But I think it has a better chances outside where I can soak it rather than inside where I can't get near it with water.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry, but I think its a goner. Deciduous trees are supposed to lose their leaves. Evergreens are not. If everything is brown or dry/crumbly...ooooh, I don't know, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it recovering. IME, once the needles dry/fall off, its done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page