people in ditches - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

people in ditches

My sister made a connection between a slip of the tongue I made years ago and something I do now, and I thought it was funny enough to share....

Years ago, I was a lector at my church. Along with doing readings, I often would read the petitions. One of the prayers was 'for people with addictions' but I guess I mumbled that one a bit, because my sister thought I was asking the congregation to pray for people in ditches. It made for a lot of laughs at the time, and it just came up again.

My husband and I both lost our jobs last month because of the economy, but since we love snow we've been out in it a lot, driving around and enjoying spots where we can slide around and play. Since we have an SUV that we can easily tow with, we keep a tow strap in the car, and in the last month we've pulled about half a dozen people out of ditches. It's mutually beneficial - we get practice pulling stuck cars free, which helps us in the summer when we're offroading in the mud, and the people who have slid off the road don't have to wait for a tow truck, which can take hours if the weather is really nasty. Some people have paid us for pulling them out, but I'm not about to ask if they don't. I know things are tight for everyone, and why wouldn't I help out when I've got the means to do so? I feel like it's one of the only things I CAN do to help others right now!

So when I told my sister about this, she reminded me about the praying for people in ditches, and we had a good laugh over how this has come full circle years later! They thought I was saying we should pray for people in ditches, and now I'm rescuing people in ditches!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

Re: people in ditches

It's cosmic!

That's really nice of you to help people get out of ditches. You're right, if you hadn't come along, they'd have spent hours waiting for a tow truck, because you know everyone else in the world drove off a ditch at the same time.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Diana, while I do not have an SUV, truck, etc that can extricate people from the nasty ditch that runs alongside my house, I will always help anybody out along my corner with a flat tire. I get out the compressor and the impact wrench. It is a beautiful thing to remove even an 8-lug rim in 15 seconds! It helps out people that may not have the physical condition needed to change a tire or may be missing their lug wrench. My favorite part of helping people is seeing the gratitude they have.

I am glad though that you properly know how to use a tow strap rather than the brain surgeons in the following video!!!

How NOT to tow a car - no sound

edit by Donald: This is the same video only with NO SOUND!!!! Therefore, it is considered "clean" and thus safe for work.

Edited by doodlebug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

LOL.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Premier Cat

Aww, you're ditch Angels. I bet the people that you are helping really appreciate what you are doing for them. It's a really kind gesture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Lol, that's a funny video. Yeah, we know not to try to pull someone's car by the bumper. If we can't find a spot to attach the strap that's safe we just won't try it. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going to risk wrecking someone's car.

Kata5, I'm in Montgomery, so if you're out this way I also hope we don't meet over a ditch!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

As a long time church musician, I know that if it's funny, and it happens in church, it's funnier! I'm so glad you not only "prayed for people in ditches," as your sister said, but also rescued them!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Banned

It's got something to do with having to be quiet and serious etc. So anything that seems funny normally will seem hilarious in church

My cousins were terrible for this, they would always get the giggles over something, and the whole pew would shake. Even my mother once got the giggles. There's some verse in the bible that says something like "and the people brought their sick to Jesus". She just imagined a whole line of people with buckets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page