Insane cold! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Insane cold!

It's -23 actual degrees here this morning! They are predicting -30 overnight, and tomorrow a.m. they said we will probably break the record of -27 degrees! HOLY BUCKETS! I don't even want to know what the wind chill is.

The boys will have lots to eat in their stalls, and both are staying locked in nice and cozy. I just hope that others are making sure their outside animals are protected from this weather!

How's everyone else doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Insane cold!

Not quite that bad here...it was 4 when I got up this morning. Tonight we're supposed to go below 0 with windchills in the -20 range. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the single digits. That's about as bad as it ever gets here. I do remember one morning getting up to -20, but that was once in the 28 years that I've been here. Gotta love when the inside of your nose literally freezes when you inhale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Cat

-25C here today *humansickle* They have a warning out that any exposed skin could get frostbite quite easily.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Cat Addict

We are having a heat wave compared to you. It is 8 degrees and they have closed several schools because of the cold. The sun is shining this morning but we are supposed to get lake effect snow starting this afternoon - 10 inches or so.
Isn't it extremely difficult to start your car when it gets that cold?

Sue

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Really...they closed schools for 8 degrees? They'd be going to school till the middle of July if they did that around here.

Yes, I was in Calgary several years ago and the hotel had outlets in the garage where you could plug you car on to keep the engine warm (and of course the cars were modified with heaters). Fortunately it wasn't that cold when we were there.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Cat Addict

I woke up to a devastating -36F this morning! On a bright note, though, it looks like we're supposed to get a break in the snow for about a week. THANK GOD!

School was not canceled today either. The kids just have to dress warm and nobody gets to go outside for recess when it's like this. The school district has already used up all of it's alloted "snow days" and will have to make one day up at the end of the year so far. When I was a kid we had a really treacherous winter where the governor actually pardoned a day or two that the school systems didn't have to make up.

Oh, and we could see temps of 30F above by Saturday. That's almost a 70-degree difference between today and 2 days from now. You can bet your sweet [bleep}* that the clinics are gonna be crawling with people sick with colds and stuff after the temps swing from one extreme to another.

* edit (the pack we wear around the waist--a little purse in the US, but not in the UK!) Jeanie
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

its 48f here I couldnt stand the weather that you guys have way toooooooo cold
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Premier Cat

Its been -4C here recently ... and I thought that was freezing ....

-36F???!!!!!!!! Brrrrrrr ..........

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

You just don't go out if you can help it...and you learn how to dress for it when you do have to go out. Fashion goes out the window . I just keep an eye on the weather and manage around it. It's usually only for a few days that we have these extremes. Supposed to be back in the upper 20s on Sunday and most of next week. That's more typical for us in Jan.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

I get cold easily so I would never go outside if it was in the negitives here. When it gets down to 20s its hard for me to go out for any reason at all. I would rather be under every blanket we own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page