Loss of freedom in Britain - rant - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Loss of freedom in Britain - rant

Sorry ... if I dont vent somewhere I will explode.

This newspaper article came to my attention today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 66716.html

I'm extremely passionate about civil liberties and too many people suffered and died for us to achieve them for them to now just be 'thrown away' at will. Of course, the 'war on terror' is the excuse cited for stamping on our cherished freedoms.

Theres no such thing as right to peaceful protest anymore. There is in theory, but in practice you have to ask the local police and they have enormous powers to control the event and indeed actually ban it. And there are now places in London (near government) where you cant protest. At all.

Theres effectively no free speech anymore either - apparently wearing a t shirt with a anti-government slogan can get you arrested these days (article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3624 ... -felt.html note to mods - there might be what could be classified as 'mildly offensive language' here, so please feel free to delete link if necessary). Bizarrely, a guy was recently taken to court for having a banner with 'Scientology is a cult' on it. Thankfully, the charges were dropped.

In at least some parts of the country (London for example) you can be stopped and searched by the police for no actual reason whatever -'just because they can' - due to new 'anti terror laws'. I now look upon the police with mistrust as a result.

The government is currently making steps to develop a giant database to store EVERY SINGLE phone call, email, text message and all internet browsing activity of every UK citizen - to 'combact terror' allegedly. Apparently they can already spy on your computer use without your knowledge thanks to trojans sent via email.

If you are arrested, your DNA is collected and kept by the government regardless of whether you are subsequently convicted of any crime. We are told the government wants to collect everyones DNA to 'combact crime'. There goes the important Human Right of being 'innocent until proven guilty' rather than the other way around. Thankfully, I think the EU is going to stamp on this one.

The government has tried on several occasions to have the right to detain people in custody without charge indefinately. Thankfully, that has not happened, but a person can be detained now for a whole month - again under 'anti terror' laws.

There is a CCTV camera in the UK for every 14 people. More than any other country in the world. Some of these cameras even 'talk' to you - for example a person might be told to 'move on' or pick up litter they have just dropped by someone spying on them though one of these cameras.

Compulsory ID cards are being pushed forwards - despite huge opposition. And very recently a immigration law has past which almost forces people to produce ID on demand on the premise that 'a person may have entered the country from abroad recently'. Well .. that could apply to anyone.

Anti terror laws have also been used by local government to fine people for fly tipping (dumping your rubbish in the next street for example) and also to spy on parents to ensure than they do live in an area from which a particular school accepts children (obviously the schools in question are the good ones). Hopefully, I think public outcry has stamped this out too.

I love my country but am beginning to despair at our loss of freedoms. The current government has lost my vote on the ID card issue alone, let alone all the other stuff they have pushed though.

If my rights keep being taken away like this, I will emigrate, its as simple as that. The average person in the UK can seemingly do nothing about this (until the next election) - after all, we arent allowed to protest anymore.

I'm wondering whether I could write a 'open letter' to a British newspaper to air my feelings in public. At the moment, we seem to be apathetically drifting towards a police state and its scary. Having said that, I wouldnt be at all surprised if such action would lead to my arrest ...

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Cat

Re: Loss of freedom in Britain - rant

One of the reasons Justine and I are emigrating to Australia in August.

I believe retaining the DNA of arrestees was declared unlawful last month - good news. Be interesting to see how the Government try to wriggle out of it.

Alex
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiralx

I believe retaining the DNA of arrestees was declared unlawful last month - good news. Be interesting to see how the Government try to wriggle out of it.
Yes, the EU declared it was against Human Rights. I seem to recall that Smith woman not being very impressed

Is is relatively easy to emigrate to Australia? Or do you have family out there?

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiralx

Yes, the EU declared it was against Human Rights. I seem to recall that Smith woman not being very impressed

Is is relatively easy to emigrate to Australia? Or do you have family out there?
Justine is an Australian citizen as well as British

We can always adopt you....

Alex
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Actually, just out of interest, I had a look at an 'Emigrate to Australia' site just now ... allegedly I have a very good chance of being accepted on some sponsored skilled visa thing. I shall explore further.

I looked into moving to the USA ages back but its almost impossible to get there on a work related visa, even for a highly skilled professional like me.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Cat

Quote:

Actually, just out of interest, I had a look at an 'Emigrate to Australia' site just now ... allegedly I have a very good chance of being accepted on some sponsored skilled visa thing. I shall explore further.
Yes, sponsorship is ideal. You need points I think, a degree gives you a certain number etc...the younger you are the better, as well!

If you're a hairdresser, it's a shoo-in, allegedly.

Alex
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

I agree with everything you said Allie, minus one important point. Do not, under any circumstances, blame the Police. They don't make the laws, and most of them wouldn't agree to do this if they had a choice (I can't provide a google link or anything, but you know my brother is in the Service, and he's the one that told me).
It's diabolical that the government can even suggest this, let alone do it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I'm shocked and saddened by these recent changes, but I have faith in the determination of the British people.

These changes remind me of the Patriot Act, which has been passed here. I understand the importance of heightened security, but at what cost? I sincerely hope that both of our countries leave us our privacy and our rights as they search for terrorists!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I looked into moving to the USA ages back but its almost impossible to get there on a work related visa, even for a highly skilled professional like me.
You could be my live-in cat sitter!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
You could be my live-in cat sitter!

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page