HELP! Pinkberry's has opened in our town...$ $ $ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

HELP! Pinkberry's has opened in our town...$ $ $

The title says it all...!

Remember frozen yogurt from the 80's or whenever that was??? "TCBY?" Well, it is back, but let me tell you - it is a whole 'nuther animal now! We have been reading about the frozen yogurt craze in Los Angeles, especially about one particular small chain with an apparently absolutely addictive product sold in cute paper cups in a tiny beautifully designed modern minimalist shop...

Quote:
In one month Pinkberry's customers incurred about $175,000 in parking tickets, prompting the Los Angeles Times to write a story about it.
http://www.latimes.com/features/life...,7985455.story

"Ha ha ha! 'Crackberry!' Those fools in L.A.!" we thought, "it can't be that good..."

Well, a Pinkberry's opened downtown on Monday, and on Wednesday Jamie and I ventured down to try it after he was done with school. The little store was MOBBED, especially with girls of all ages - elementary age with moms to twenty-somethings with boyfriends...My son saw three schoolmates...We splurged on all the beautifully cut fruit for toppings. I am embarrassed to say how much it cost, but let's just say a large plain with no toppings is $5.50. We drove off to get my son a haircut, and by the time our cups were empty, as we were whizzing along on the freeway, Jamie and I were already laughing and muttering "too bad we can't get another before your haircut, too bad parking was kind of hard..."

Sigh. I let Jamie go down there again last night, while I did a little office work for a friend at her nearby office. He promised to get a large plain with his own money and save me a bite or two, but he ran into a girl classmate and her mom, and while he sat with them he ate the whole thing before he remembered about saving me any... You have no idea how disappointed I was ...

Of course, Hubby wants to try it now, Jamie wants to work there this summer, and I am thinking "Wow! I wonder how much the franchise costs to open one anyway?"

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

Re: HELP! Pinkberry's has opened in our town...$ $ $

That's scary, Fran!
Don't let your kitties get hooked.
I can see a remake of the movie "Reefer Madness", with the title, "Pinkberry Madness" in the future.
> <

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Banned

Tried frozen "yo-gurt" when I was in the states. Didn't see what the fuss was about personally, but my mum loved the stuff. Pity for her that's it's never taken off over here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I like it. I think it has fewer calories than ice cream, and you still get an icy treat.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Premier Cat

Bluebell's chocolate frozen yogurt from the grocery's freezer is pretty good. And it does have fewer calories and less cholesterol.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Cat Addict

Ken has a complete addiction to Dairy Queen which, around here, is only openly seasonally. They close business from mid October to mid February. During those in-between times we go "used" to go to a local TCBY a lot but now we have a Cold Stone Creamery so Ken doesn't even want to mess with frozen yogurt anymore.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I like all of the dairy-based desserts, really - good fresh ice cream, Italian gelato, creme brulee, panna cotta, custard, cheesecake etc. I don't eat it all every day, though.

What Pinkberry has done is get their product exactly right for what it is - it is just sweet enough, just tart enough, just frozen enough, just melt-y enough, just light enough, just fresh enough....! Perfectly balanced. Amazing. If only it weren't so expensive!

Fran
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like a Starbucks type comfort food addiction to me but now they were smart enough to include kids! Sounds very yummy..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page