We decided on Mall Cop - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We decided on Mall Cop

... and it definitely had some good laughs. No, it's not a "wonderfully" funny movie but it contains quite a bit of slapstick-type stuff and nonsense humor. All I wanted tonight was something to laugh at and that's what I got, so I'm happy.

Also, I saw the previews for another movie that's coming up in a few weeks and, dangit, I can't think of the title or even the premise right now. All I remember is that Ken and I looked at each other and said "that ought to be worth seeing!"

EDITED TO ADD: I searched for upcoming movies and found the one I was thinking about. It's called New In Town and stars Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick, Jr.

Basically, the idea is that Renee's character's employer sends her to Minnesota to a new startup branch for the company. She's never been in snow previous to the move! It looks like she hates every minute of living there until she mets Harry Connick's Jr's character and they begin to develop a relationship.

It probably appeals to me because I get a kick out of people I see who don't know how to handle the white stuff. We see a lot of newbies to the snow with the Air Force Base right here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Re: We decided on Mall Cop

That movie does look cute!

It's funny how non-snow people think it would be "sooooo romantic" to live someplace where it snows.

Yes, it's romantic in the movies when it's snowing outside, and you have a wonderful fire going in the fireplace and you're toasting with someone special.....blah....blah....blah....

But they're INSIDE!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Cat Addict

Glad you had a nice time!

I also saw the preview for "New In Town", and while it looked fairly amusing, I got the impression that all the funny bits were shown in the previews. Maybe on video!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

I hate movie previews. By the time they're done, there's no need to see the movie. They showed practically every bit of Last Chance Harvey. After almost every preview, my friend and I looked at each other and said, "Well, no need to go see that one now, either!"

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

I dislike previews because they can be so misleading. My sister and I went to a drive-in to see a movie we thought was going to be a bust-the-gut, laugh-until-you-cried comedy. It turned out to be a DRAMA. Heck, not even a dram-edy. Because the previews showed every funny bit in the movie, it made us think it was going to be a comedy.

Ron Howard movie, "Parenthood" 1989.
Steve Martin
Dianne Wiest
Mary Steenbergen
Rick Moranis
Keanu Reeves
Joaquin Phoenix

...Hm... I remembered Keanu, but I didn't recall Phoenix was in that movie...he must not have been well known at that time.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Really, Heidi? I thought that movie had so many funny parts! I would consider is a dramedy. It was marketed as a comedy, so that was a bit misleading.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Premier Cat

I was 21 or 22 when I saw that movie. I think the previews led me to believe it was going to be a very funny movie, but the problem was the previews showed every funny part in the movie and all that was left as new-to-view was the drama parts. I would probably enjoy the movie better now, but back then, I was expecting a comedy and was disappointed because it was not what I was led to believe and prepared/excited to see.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

That's true. I remember the #1 promo, "Do you want to throw up?" "Okay" SPLAT!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Banned

Talking of wrongly labelled genres. I went to see Eragon with my dad a couple of years ago.
That should have been called a comedy. Even the great Jeremy Irons couldn't save this pee-pot of a sham of a film. Terrible dialogue, crappy story (which seemed like a cheap rip off of the Lord of the Rings), and hilarious acting.

Pearl Harbour and U571 are also pretty funny, but only because of the whole "hollywood history" thing. The actual events of pearl Harbour aren't funny obviously.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

I thought Eragon (the movie) was okay. It was probably filmed with teens in mind, and it seriously lacked because the book contained so much more information, the movie could basically only skim it and doing so left a lot to be desired. Teen-aged author Christopher Paolini did a superb job, though I must say...I found his books a bit tedious to get through. I have bought/read all three, and will buy/read the final book, but I do so out of "it is something I started so I must finish it" rather than a true enjoyment like I had with the Harry Potter series.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page