Wiping out my computer - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Wiping out my computer

Lately my computer has been a mess. In spite of McAffee I seem to have picked up a lot of junk. Wiping it out and starting over may be my only solution, so I think I will do that later today. I am just worried about getting things up and running again. Will this wipe out my history on cat forum also? Even worse, what if I can't get back on? I just can't take cat forum withdrawal!!!
I have a memory stick that I will save some files to before I start, and I will try to figure out what my e-mail settings are first.
Does anyone who is better with computers then I (everyone) have any advise?

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Wiping out my computer

I had Norton antivirus for the last few years, and when I updated to Norton 2009, my system was completely attacked. I couldn't do hardly anything on my pc anymore, nothing worked right. It wasn't doing it's job, not running scans unless started manually, and it wasn't updating at all. I got a refund, and tried BitDefender, and hated that! It was a total system hog, and wasn't very accurate. I then tried a trial version of AVG Internet Security, and found out that I had 6 Trojan viruses! Neither Norton, or BitDefender picked them up. Luckily, I was able to clear them off of my system, and things seem to be working good now. The only thing I don't like about AVG, is every once in a while, the automatic updating shuts down, and you need to restart your system.

The one thing I learned is that there is no fool proof method of protecting your pc. There are new viruses coming out daily, and you are only safe against the ones your antivirus database is known to protect, which is why it is so important to make sure your updates are being done, and your scans are being run. Also, make a point of deleting your temporary internet files daily, the files that contain tracking cookies.

EDITED TO ADD: AVG can not cure the Trojan virus, it will just detect them to let you know they are there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Cat Addict

I've formatted and re-loaded Windows probably 1000+ times. A fresh start is always nice.

You'll find your way back to Catforum eventually.

-steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Premier Cat

My non-expert advice is that it pays to have two bootable hard drives in your computer. If one drive becomes a problem, you can use the disc utilities from the other drive to clear up the problem, or do a low-level reformat on it.
These days hard drives are very cheap, so this is an economical solution.

But, I don't know if Windows will allow you to have two bootable drives on your computer.

It's no problem on a Macintosh. You physically install the HD, plug in the cables, format it, install the operating system, and go to work. It's a snap.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Well Sue, how did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
My non-expert advice is that it pays to have two bootable hard drives in your computer. If one drive becomes a problem, you can use the disc utilities from the other drive to clear up the problem, or do a low-level reformat on it.
These days hard drives are very cheap, so this is an economical solution.

But, I don't know if Windows will allow you to have two bootable drives on your computer.
I am not sure under serial ATA but under the parallel ATA, yes you can. I would just keep them on the same IDE controller channel. But if you have two bootable drives, keep the clean drive as the slave and the bootable as the master. If the main boot drive gets infected, merely swap jumpers.

I actually prefer to have a drive with windows and all AV/spyware programs loaded on it...and nothing else. Keep that drive OUT of the PC and sealed in your antistatic bag unless needed. If your current boot drive gets infected, merely change the jumpers on that one to Slave and the one you keep unmounted stays at Master. Plug it in, connect cables, and fire up the PC. This will allow you to clean up any viruses, spyware, malware, etc that may go memory resident (VX2 is a nasty one! ) at startup. But by keeping it out of the PC until actually needed will protect it from potential infection as well.

I would also recommend installing a second hard disk just for the purpose of storing data. If my XP machine goes haywire, all my important data is on my D drive and some is on my G drive as well. I have two 18gb drives and one 73GB drive.

Quote:
It's no problem on a Macintosh. You physically install the HD, plug in the cables, format it, install the operating system, and go to work. It's a snap.
Sounds like my windows system with SCSI drives.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My hubby talked me into taking it to a local computer person to have that done and to have one of the disk drives repaired at the same time. It hasn't been done yet, but I can't wait as this computer is driving me nuts!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page