Calgon, PLEASE take us away! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Calgon, PLEASE take us away!

I'm speaking on behalf of me, my husband and anyone else around here suffering ceiling damage from all the snow we've gotten this year.

Mom had the kids overnight last night so we slept in. Ken got up about 45 minutes ago and I heard "Oh crap!" (but worse) and I said "what's going on? Turns out that we have a huge puddle in our dining room where moisture blew up into the attack, built up and now is thawing. It was about 35 here yesterday and obviously the attic is warmer than that, so here we go - ceiling damage.

I called my Dad right away because he owns a construction company. He said when he saw our name on the caller ID he figured I was calling about ceiling damage because he's had calls from others in the tiny town he lives in asking to put them on the list for fixing the damage in the spring. My Dad said he himself has extensive damage in the ceiling of his dining room now, too. He's so frustrated with all the junk that's happened because of all the snow so far and I think I've heard him say more cuss words in the last few weeks than I have in my whole life!

I can't believe this is happening and just wish it would stop! We also called our home insurance carrier the other day to talk about getting flood insurance coverage again because we're so close to the river. We're expecting the water table to rise significantly which is probably going to reek havoc on our basement. There was a news story on a few days ago about a bunch of other people contacting their insurance companies to get flood coverage this year.

We can't file a claim on flood damage for the first 30 days after we sign up but as far as the water table goes I don't think that part would begin to affect us until April or so anyway.

So much for enjoying the morning/early afternoon with no kids in the house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Calgon, PLEASE take us away!

...Home ownership is not all it is cracked up to be, eh?

Hubby and I always groan about fender-benders in the car $$$ and expenses in the hou$e - money-eaters all. Especially anything to do with water at home. And stuff always happens the moment we pay off something else and begin to have fantasies of taking a trip somewhere for the first time in years! ...

For us right now, it is one of the tenants at our duplex, who has diligently saved for years and is buying a tiny house. We're happy for him, but cha-ching - time again to paint, patch and hassle! There goes a chunk of our savings account which was finally recovering from when Hubby lost his job two years ago and had to find a new career and new job...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page