Our Space Program - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Our Space Program

I feel that one of Obama's first priorities- ONE of them-should be our space program. I know a TUNNA people disagree. I think the scientific advances and discoveries about the universe,can only help. I think we should go back to the moon-not to engage China in a space race,-but because this is a great adventure for our country,and MANY countries. OT,do they still make TANG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Our Space Program

I don't know about TANG, but I support the space program whole-heartedly. What price knowledge?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Premier Cat

I also support the space program. Nasa Television is often on my tv, too.
You know, a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, to watch a shuttle launch before the old birds are retired, would be fun.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

You know, a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, to watch a shuttle launch before the old birds are retired, would be fun.[/quote]
There's NEW birds,in the wings I hope?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

I've been a space junky since I was a kid, building model rockets and looking for Sputnik and Echostar in the night sky, following the space program, and culminating with Neil Armstrong's step onto the lunar surface viewed live on television in 1969. It was a marvelous time and a huge scientific and national accomplishment. I would dearly love to see mankind pursue manned exploration into space. Back to the moon and on to Mars.

BUT......we have way too many problems and way too little money and resources to divert. Not only do I not think the space program should be number one on Obama's list, I think it shouldn't be on the list at all. People are suffering, the country is falling apart, a war drags on and on. No, the space program can wait. The moon and Mars will still be there. I'll never get to go into outerspace. But before we can resume pursuit of space exploration we need to solve our problems here, first. At this point, focussing on the space program could only be at the expense of everything else, and at no benefit to everybody else, except maybe to divert their attention from their real problems.

No, President Obama, don't throw money away in space right need. It's needed here on Earth.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

I am up in the air over this one. While I support the space program, I do not feel this is the time for any new projects or funding. I agree with Tim in that we need the problems taken care of here at home. As such, I do not feel we need additional funding. However, I do not feel we should cancel or make deep cuts either.

Bluemilk mentioned returning to the moon. Well, sadly that is not possible now without designing a new heavy-lift booster capable of achieving escape velocity. Decommissioning the Saturn V, I feel, was a big mistake. The F1 engines in the first stage were already in the process of being upgraded by Rocketdyne to the F1A. With 5 F1A engines in the first stage, thrust would have been just shy of 10 million pounds!!! What do we have now that comes close? Had NASA gone ahead with the Nova HL booster, liftoff thrust would have been 12million pounds with F1s or 16 million pounds with F1a's! WOW!!!

But once again, without a REAL heavy lift booster, returning to the moon is not going to happen. We just cannot afford to make a new rocket.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I also think, as much as I support the Space Program, that the timing is wrong. We'll have to be patient.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I also think, as much as I support the Space Program, that the timing is wrong. We'll have to be patient.
And I think such patience will pay off in the long run. If we can get our economy turned around in a reasonable time, then we can possibly divert funding there. At least Jeanie the New Horizons probe was launched well before the economy took a dive. Speaking of New Horizons, only 6 years until it reaches Pluto! If only Clyde Tombaugh were still alive to witness it!

One thing I was always interested in was the Russian Venera expeditions. Everybody was fascinated with Mars, but Venus was always ignored. Thankfully the Russians had the interest so that their work could be shared with the world. I enjoyed seeing images of the Venusian surface. And I was amazed at its surface conditions despite the planet being so close to Earth in size and density.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Premier Cat

Yep, Venus is a hellish place. Not much chance for terraforming there.
Not Mars, either, since it has no magnetic field to protect its atmosphere from being slowly stripped away by the solar wind.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So after they retire our current birds...what then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page