To heck with the fact that Obama is black -fun not political - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

To heck with the fact that Obama is black -fun not political

... the most important thing is that he is a leftie!

Hurrah! A fellow leftie. I noticed that when i saw him sign something on the news. He even writes sideways ... as I do.

Pretty neat.

Its also interesting to note that 5 out of the last seven US presidents are southpaws - Obama, Ford, Reagan, Bush Snr and Clinton.

John McCain is also left handed by the way.

I bet Gordon Brown is right handed. It would explain a lot.

(Disclaimer: this is meant as a humourous post and not as a slur against the 90% of people on this forum that are right handed )

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Tom Cat

Re: To heck with the fact that Obama is black ...

I noticed it, too! And: A lot of actors and musicians are lefties. Was there a former president with an own CD?
In Britain are a lot of lefties in the Royal family: Elizabth II, Prince Charles and Prince William are lefties, too.

Btw: Black, white, plaid... Whatever... In Germany we´ve got a woman chancellor!

(Disclaimer: this is meant as a humourous post and not as a slur against actors, musicians or acting and/or singing presidents or women and men in this forum. )
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutzi

Btw: Black, white, plaid... Whatever... In Germany we´ve got a woman chancellor.
PAH! WE had a woman Prime Minister. So there! With knobs on

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Tom Cat

WE had a singing Federal President, Walter Scheel chanted "Hoch auf dem gelben Wagen" in 1974.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Cat Addict

Mutzi, das ist ja schrecklich!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Premier Cat

Allie, I'm interested that you referred to lefties as southpaw! I thought that was just a baseball term. As a matter of fact, when we were using baseball-related names for cats (hence Rookie), we got a second cat and named him Southpaw. I got a few blank stares on that one from people who weren't baseball fans. I was disappointed when a friend told me he thought only about 20% of people in the U.S. know what a southpaw is.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh ... well I've just always known that 'southpaw' referred to people that are left handed

This is what wikipedia says ...

-------------------------

Southpaw

A left-handed individual may be known as a southpaw, particularly in a sports context. It is widely accepted that the term originated in the United States, in the game of baseball. Ballparks are often designed so that batters are facing east, so that the afternoon or evening sun does not shine in their eyes. This means that left-handed pitchers are throwing with their south-side arm. However, the Oxford English Dictionary lists a non-baseball citation for "south paw", meaning a punch with the left hand, as early as 1848, just three years after the first organized baseball game.

In boxing, someone who boxes left-handed is frequently referred to as southpaw. The term is also used to refer to a stance in which the boxer places the right foot in front of the left, so it is possible for a right-handed boxer to box with a southpaw stance. Most boxers, southpaw or otherwise, tend to train with sparring partners who adopt an orthodox stance which gives southpaws an advantage.

In tennis, a southpaw holds the racket in their left hand. Because of this their grip of the handle is supposedly adjusted in a slightly different style than right-handed players.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Cool Cat

Obama is the 8th president to be left-handed, which is definitely out of proportion to the general population. Overall only about 10% of people are lefties, and 8 out of 44 is 18%. The news report that mentioned this talked about a few traits that seemed to be characteristic of lefties, such as creativity, problem solving skills, and an ability to think outside the box. I'm a lefty too, so I gave it some thought and realized that all of those characteristics make perfect sense since we have to find ways to get by in a right handed world. Particularly in my childhood, I was faced with situations that seemed perfectly normal but were in fact a challenge because of me being 'backwards'. The end result of my school years was that I'm ambidextrous in pretty much everything but writing, and in a few things I learned to be right handed because it was simply easier. My school didn't have any left handed baseball equipment, so I bat and throw right handed. My high school had an abundance of racquets for every sport, so I can play with either hand, or use two racquets.

I suppose every minority faces challenges in fitting in with the majority - from that standpoint Barack should be a very innovative president. He's left handed, mixed race, presumed to be 100% African-American, comes from a single parent home... Yep, he's in a lot of minorities and he's made the best of all of them!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Cool Cat

I noticed it too! My husband is left handed so I hear the complaints now and then about being a lefty living in a right handed world.
I've also got my grandma, dad and a brother who are leftys. Makes me wonder how genetic it is...

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Premier Cat

I'm a proud southpaw. Whitekitties I am like you, I can do many things right handed, and can do somethings with either hand. When I was a nurse it could put IVs in with either hand which was was really convenient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page