VH1's Top 100 Hard Rock Songs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

VH1's Top 100 Hard Rock Songs

Mom had the kids overnight again so I was flipping through the channels and stopped on something I would never have watched if the kids were home. I used to headbang with the best of 'em in my early high school years!

I only caught about #60 down through #1 but I never stopped to realize just how many really good British acts have influenced American music over the years.

The one that they "said" VH1 voters rated #1 was "Welcome To The Jungle" by Guns 'N' Roses. I don't think that would have been my choice for #1 but it would have placed in my top 20.

Here is the list:

100. I Can't Drive 55 -Sammy Hagar
99. We're an American Band-Grand Funk Railroad
98. Lit Up-Buckcherry
97. Frankenstein-Edgar Winter
96. Carry on My Wayward Son-Kansas
95. Higher-Creed
94. I Believe In a Thing Called Loved-The Darkness
93. Turn Up the Radio-Autograph
92. Don't Tell Me You Love Me-Night Ranger
91. Bullet With Butterfly Wings-Smashing Pumpkins
90. Aqualung-Jethro Tull
89. Party Hard-Andrew W.K.
88. Would?-Alice In Chains
87. Seventeen-Winger
86. The Beautiful People-Marilyn Manson
85. Slither-Velvet Revolver
84. I Wanna Be Somebody-W.A.S.P.
83. Bring Me Back to Life-Evanescence
82. Since You've Been Gone-Rainbow
81. Heaven and ****-Black Sabbath
80. Any Way You Want It-Journey
79. Rebel Yell-Billy Idol
78. Feel Like Makin' Love-Bad Company
77. Black Hole Sun-Soundgarden
76. Kiss Me Deadly-Lita Ford
75. Seven Nation Army-White Stripes
74. Love Removal Machine-The Cult
73. Jailbreak-Thin Lizzy
72. Heartbreaker-Pat Benatar
71. Mountain Song-Jane's Addiction
70. Hot Blooded-Foreigner
69. Cult of Personality-Living Colour
68. More Human Than Human-White Zombie
67. Tush-ZZ Top
66. The Final Countdown-Europe
65. Kick Out the Jams-MC5
64. Liar-Rollin's Band
63. Eye of the Tiger-Survivor
62. Breaking the Chains-Dokken
61. Round and Round-RATT
60. 18 and Life-Skid Row
59. The Stroke-Billy Squier
58. Interstate Love Song-Stone Temple Pilots
57. You Really Got Me-The Kinks
56. Cherry Pie-Warrant
55. Don't Fear the Reaper-Blue Oyster Cult
54. Epic-Faith No More
53. Born to Be Wild-Steppenwolf
52. Cherry Bomb-The Runaways
51. Peace Sells-Megadeth
50. Give It Away-Red hot Chili Peppers
49. Search and Destroy-Iggy Pop and the Stooges
48. Freak on a Leash-KoRn
47. Bawidabata-Kid Rock
46. Madhouse-Anthrax
45. Slow Ride-Foghat
44. Sunshine of Your Love-Cream
43. Holy Diver-Dio
42. Should I Stay or Should I Go-The Clash
41. Cum on Feel the Noize-Quiet Riot
40. Talk Dirty to Me-Poison
39. More Than a Feeling-Boston
38. Stone Cold Crazy-Queen
37. My Generation-The Who
36. Hot for Teacher-Van Halen
35. School's Out-Alice Cooper
34. Barracuda-Heart
33. Basket Case-Green Day
32. Cat Scratch Fever-Ted Nugent
31. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap-AC/DC
30. Even Flow-Pearl Jam
29. Bad Reputation-Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
28. Everlong-Foo Fighters
27. Still of the Night-Whitesnake
26. Freebird-Lynyrd Skynyrd
25. Blitzkrieg Bob-Ramones
24. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida-Iron Butterfly
23. Crazy Train-Ozzy Osbourne
22. Hey Joe-Jimi Hendrix Experience
21. Kashmir-Led Zeppelin
20. You Give Love a Bad Name-Bon Jovi
19. Tom Sawyer-Rush
18. Rock You Like a Hurricane-Scorpions
17. I Wanna Rock-Twisted Sister
16. Rock and Roll All Nite-KISS
15. Dr. Feelgood-Motley Crue
14. Run to the Hills-Iron Maiden
13. Photograph-Def Leppard
12. Breaking the Law-Judas Priest
11. Smoke on the Water-Deep Purple
10. Ace of Spades-Motorhead
9. Runnin' with the Devil-Van Halen
8. Walk this Way-Aerosmith
7. Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana
6. Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who
5. Enter Sandman-Metallica
4. Paranoid-Black Sabbath
3. Whole Lotta Love-Led Zeppelin
2. Back In Black-AC/DC
1. Welcome to the Jungle-Guns N' Roses

When I was in high school band we played a lot of rock hits from the 60s through the mid 80s and my all-time favorite was "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi (#20 on this list). I played bass keyboards in high school and that song had awesome bass keyboard writing!

At #41 on the countdown was "Cum On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot. I was shocked to learn that that song was actually a cover of a song that a British band had and it never really took off for them. Quiet Riot was probably my first introduction into hard rock/heavy metal. My cousin who was 5 years old than me was into that music and we used to play that music all the time! We also listened to a lot of Van Halen together, as well as Motley Crue.

Another cousin of mine is self-taught on the guitar and didn't even pick up a guitar for the first time until he was about 14. He loved Metallica's music and taught himself how to play "Enter Sandman." He does such a great job on it, too!

Do you have any favorites on this list? Any song that brings back a good memory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

Re: VH1's Top 100 Hard Rock Songs

Hmmm, a good list...for the most part. I never was a Bon Jovi fan so I have to say any inclusion of his drops the credibility of the list down a few notches.

But some that I feel were missing or overlooked are:

Highway To **** rather than Back in Black. No offense to the talents of Brian Johnson, but Bon Scott is, was, and always will be AC/DC. Deep Purple's Highway Star also should have been there. Ritchie Blackmore's guitar solo on that song is by far one of the best I have ever heard! I still do not think that today's so-called musicians can really pull off a guitar solo. Well, Vai and Satriani can. With regards to Poison, I felt Every Rose Has Its Thorn or better yet, Fallen Angel is a better choice than talk dirty to me.

Pearl Jam, to me, is a waste of a recording studio's time and effort. I never was a fan of Eddie Vedder's style. And Evanescence? Are they serious? Where is the punch line because this HAS to be a joke! Ok, where is Tom Petty??? Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Korn and Evanescence can make this list yet Tom Petty does not?

Speaking of Tom Petty, ANY song from his **** The Torpedoes album is worthy of the top ten! But Refugee would be my first choice. Some other notable Petty tunes worth inclusion are Learning To Fly, Jammin' Me, and Rebels.

Some others that I feel are worth mentioning are Come Sail Away and Renegade from Styx. Tommy Shaw is a darn good guitarist. Maybe they are not hard rock, but they are along the same overall style as Grand Funk Railroad.

Ok, enough of me saying what is wrong with the list. Now for some of my favorites. I have to admit that when I first saw the video for Twisted Sister's I Wanna Rock, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! I had a metal shop teacher exactly like the one in the video. Even today, watching that video makes me chuckle and brings me back to taking metal shop during my 9th grade year in 1983-1984.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Although they had good music, I wouldn't consider Tom Petty or Styx hard rock. One of my favorite songs from my high school days was "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" but, there again, even though Poison was hard rock I think "Every Rose..." took a few steps away from that. Beautiful writing, though.

By the way, the countdown was hosted by Bret Michaels - DANG he looks good! I think he's cuter now than he was 17 years ago. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's clean and sober now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that I don't consider Petty and Styx hard rock, but there's a lot of songs on this list that I wouldn't give that designation to.

Funny, Don, when I saw Back in Black sitting at #2 my first thought was how did that get there instead of Highway to ****?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldjr1969
Hmmm, a good list...for the most part. I never was a Bon Jovi fan so I have to say any inclusion of his drops the credibility of the list down a few notches.
Oh Donald! Say it ain't so! BON JOVI.... is my favorite all time band!!!! You Give Love a Bad Name wouldn't have been my first pick, however, not even close. I would have chosen Wanted Dead or Alive.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I love Bon Jovi too, although not #1 for me, maybe top 5. It's the other guy from Jersey that tops my list...and hey, if we gotta add Petty to this list, where the heck is Born to Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie of SD
I would have chosen Wanted Dead or Alive.
As a hard rock song?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie of SD
I would have chosen Wanted Dead or Alive.
As a hard rock song?
You make a good point, but it ROCKS more than some of the other selections that made the list.... I mean come on, Eye of the Tiger????
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Aww....geez. I missed that one when I scanned through the list. There are some really interesting choices on this thing. Makes you wonder who the voters were....

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Premier Cat

Ram Jam's "Black Betty"

Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold" ...though that is probably a stretch for "hard rock"

Molly Hatchet is a band I really like, though maybe not hard rock...though it has to be as hard rock as some of the other choices.

I love the electric guitar played with a violin bow in Whitesnake's "Still of the Night"

Quite a few songs on that list I like. Also, several I would have never listed, but I think that is due solely to my own personal taste in music and being a traditional Classic Rock & Roll music listener, ranging in music from the mid 60s to the 80s hairbands.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 AM
Cat Addict

that list looks like they chose 100 songs completely at random from 30 years of playlists.

No Tool= invalid list. And two of the heaviest songs of all time are not on there...Stuck Mojo- Rising and Accept- Balls to the Wall. However, I'm totally pleasantly surprised Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak is on there, most underappreciated band in history.

-steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page