Anybody feeling the ecomomic crunch? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Anybody feeling the ecomomic crunch?

I have/(had) my own electrical contracting business for the last 6 years I am closing the doors this week. Everything has dried up I had four home builders I work for and two have gone under and the other 2 have no new projects on their radar. The service work has dried up also. I used to get 4-5 calls a week for some little problem but even that has been shut off. I sure hope Obama can turn the spigot back on soon!

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Anybody feeling the ecomomic crunch?

I'm so sorry you are having to shut down your business! What a let down.

My business is definately slower than last year! I made about half during my normal busiest months this season, compared to last. My orders coming in are much smaller than other years, though I'm sure folks are trying to get by with just the bare minimums. I am still getting orders though, which is a good thing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Cool Cat

That's bad news Sparky

Partner is a carpenter and until last year was mainly employed on building sites. All the site work has now dried up, but he managed to get quite a lot of private jobs on. He was really busy up until Christmas, mainly with home improvement stuff - new doors, kitchens etc. But he hasn't got any work on now. We're hoping its just a post Xmas lull.

We could just about get by on my salary alone if we really had to. I work at a University which is supposedly in fairly good shape financially so we should be OK fingers crossed.

But these days you never really know do you? What seemed secure one minute crashes the next.

Lets all hope for better things in 2009.

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry that you are closing your business Sparky.

My son has been out of work since the middle of December because DHL domestic closed. Now my step son is losing his job because Circuit City is closing. Thank goodness that it seems my step daughter's job is secure for now. My husband's job is secure.

Each day gets scarier and scarier. I find myslf glued to CNN and feeling more desperate for the country each day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

We finally just got some slabs to frame on, but work is still slow. We are in a crunch cash whys but its not the economy just everything being due at the same time (both car registrations, poa dues, refinancing home)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I'm so sorry for all those who have lost their jobs. A family friend just lost his job with IBM. He had twenty years seniority, and we thought he was the last one who would lose his job! IBM sent him all over S. America and Europe.

Personally, I have noticed a huge increase in food prices. I understand that the price of gas had affected prices, but the price of gas has gone down. My guess is that the price of food will remain high. If they can get the price, they'll do it. As for me, I cut down on my grocery list. I keep it to absolute necessities.

An example: A few years ago, the price for 20 pounds of bird seed was 5.95; it's now $10. That's a huge increase! And that's a KMart price! When I buy bird seed, I usually go to a feed store, but my husband thinks it's closer to KMart, so he picks it up there.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I understand that the price of gas had affected prices, but the price of gas has gone down. My guess is that the price of food will remain high. If they can get the price, they'll do it.
IMO, it isn't that "if they can charge that, they will", it is most likely governed by the fact that at the time the gas prices were high, that was the cost of the fuel they used to cultivate, maintain, harvest, transport and process their crops. When those costs have been covered, then prices will go down to reflect the lower operating costs at that time.
Farming is an industry that doesn't react immediately to price changes because today's prices reflect the past costs/efforts to bring that produce to market. As an aside, I can also see that theory driving the costs of other items, too.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Cool Cat

My husband and I both got laid off at the end of '08, so I can sympathize. It's a tough market out there! Keep an eye on craigslist.com for labor jobs and you might find some work. However, be prepared to lower your prices in order to get the work. My husband does drywall on the side, and he started responding to ads for drywall work but wasn't getting any responses. After a few weeks we tested the waters by posting our own drywall job and then looking at the pricing that came in. Wow! We got about 40 responses in 12 hours, and the prices ranged from 12 to 50 bucks a sheet to hang, tape, mud and sand it. (Normal price per sheet is between 30-40 bucks.)

You might also try creating a brochure or postcard to advertise yourself that you could distribute around the neighborhood, post on local store bulletin boards, or ask friends/family to display at their offices. My husband did that and got a couple of jobs that way. People seem to definitely be interested in hiring someone who is local, so it can't hurt to try.

Good luck, and let's all keep our hopes up that this economy turns around soon!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Cat

What has hit us very hard is the food prices , the decent pet food is imported , and it has doubled in price in the past few months.

A bag of potatoes has gone up 400% since last month , rice has doubled ..... salaries tho havent doubled. We stopped eating meat a long tome ago , but even chicken is up by 50%.

So all of us including the animals are tightening our belts.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Quote:
Personally, I have noticed a huge increase in food prices.
My Animal Sciences professor last semester was a bee keeper, and he informed us that due to the mysterious wasting diesease (parasite, chemical, whatever is causing the hive collapses), bee farmers are losing something like 50% or more of their hives every year, and they don't know why. The price of bees thus goes up, and many, many farmers use bees as pollinators. And thus, food prices go up too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page