We just begin paying off the Christmas bills and... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We just begin paying off the Christmas bills and...

a bunch more unexpected expenses come up!

This past weekend I was going to let Peanut out the patio door to go potty but the door was froze shut. So I went over to the door on the west side of the house where the deadbolt seemed to be stuck, so I cranked on it A LITTLE TOO MUCH and it broke! Peanut is a little goofy in the head so she refuses to go potty in the front yard and both the doors that were either broke/froze shut are the ones that lead to the back. The snow as piled up around the gates that would let you into the back from the front, so Ken had to go out there and shovel yet another path for her to go potty.

In the meantime, I took some trusty tools out (not really knowing was I was doing, and took the cap off the deadbolt hoping to be able to "unjam" whatever was broke inside but I couldn't figure it out; neither could Ken. So we shoved a handkerchief in it to keep the frigid cold air out until a locksmith could get here to change the locks! That happened yesterday.

For the last week off and on Ken has been having trouble with the gears in the minivan not wanting to shift properly in extremely cold weather, especially trying to go uphill. It drags almost like the car is stuck in neutral. Anyway, Ken took it to a body shop they also found out something wrong with the radiator and it's leaking fluid! Oh yay! We THINK the van is still under warranty (they're looking it up for us) so we're keeping our fingers crossed because that'll be pretty spendy otherwise.

Lastly, we think the fridge is dying. It's been making weird noises lately when it "kicks in." Last night I thought it had sprouted an engine and was going to take off. It was so loud! Anyway, so we have someone coming over on Friday to look at the fridge. If the repair cost it a little too much we will probably just get another fridge because this one is 17 years old. To be honest, I'd love to have a new fridge but our pocketbook wouldn't like it right now.

Anyway, that's my life in the last couple days. Easy come, easy go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: We just begin paying off the Christmas bills and...

You two have had a rough winter. I really hope that your van is covered under warranty so that you won't have that huge expense. And, maybe the repairman can limp the fridge along for a while. I had a neighbor who was told he would have to replace his whole ac/heater unit when the AC died. He was quoted $6000- $7000, which they could never afford. They had a local handiman come look at the thing and he was able to fix it for abut $75. Let's hope something like that happens to you.

((HUGS))

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Cool Cat

For the future, locks are pretty easy to replace. You can even take them to a locksmith and get them rekeyed (so they all work off the smae key) very cheaply. Drilling the hole in a new door is a bit tricky though.

Try pulling the fridge out, unplug it and clean out underneath. The fans blades and motor need extra attention. Un-plug first before cleaning!
Plug it back in and see what happens.

And hopefully the vehicle will be under warranty.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Isn't that always the case? If one appliance goes bad, a couple of others follow suit!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
For the last week off and on Ken has been having trouble with the gears in the minivan not wanting to shift properly in extremely cold weather, especially trying to go uphill. It drags almost like the car is stuck in neutral.
Jo, is the transmission fluid at proper levels and if not, have you seen any evidence of leaks? If everything else checks out, it probably is just the extreme cold. When temps get into the -10F and lower range, my clutch pedal is every sluggish. I will let my foot off the clutch and with it being a hydraulic unit, the pedal rises very slowly until it warms up. I can even sidestep the clutch and the pedal comes out so slowly that it engages smoothly with hardly any jerking. So the ATF may still be thick. If you do need a flush and fill of your transmission, synthetic ATF is a great thing to use if your budget permits.

How old or new is your van and how many miles are on the van?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Cat Addict

We once had a refrigerator that sounded like that. When the repairman came to fix it the problem was only a cheese wrapper that had been stuck in the fan. It was an expensive lesson, so like Marsha said, a good cleaning might do the trick.

Sue

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll mention that to hubby about cleaning the back of the fridge.

As far as the vehicle, we haven't seen evidence of a leak but just within the last couple of days the ABS light has kicked in and stayed on. Other than that, I don't know squat about vehicles.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Premier Cat

Sorry for all the hassle Jo! Been there done that myself............when it rains, it pours! Hope things get better soon.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I talked to Ken some more about the vehicle last night. Apparently a head gasket is leaking. All I know is that belongs to the radiator and radiator repair equals LOTS of money.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I believe that replacing a head gasket requires taking the engine apart. If I'm not mistaken, the head gasket fits over and around the cylinders. I wish you lived near us; my husband is a master mechanic. I hope you get a good price.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page