Monitor question. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Monitor question.

This question is more for folks who work with photos, and edit photos I guess. My old 8 year old monitor finally went out, so I had to replace it. Hubby picked up my new monitor last night, it's a Dell 20" HD widescreen, and boy, am I having a hard time getting used to it! My question is this. When I look at all my pictures now, they look distorted, just like the shape of the screen, long and narrow. Is a widescreen not a smart choice for someone who works with photos, or is there something I'm not doing, or can do, to make my photos look normal? My computer is 8 years old, and it's still plugging along pretty good, so I've been slow to replace it, and I don't know that it will get replaced anytime soon as long as it's working good.

Any tips.......suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Monitor question.

I'd try messing with the display settings in the Control Panel. There may also be a separate settings page for the monitor itself if you had to load any software when you hooked it up. If you did, look in your programs to see if there's anything there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Cool Cat

It sounds like your computer is sending the wrong ratio settings to your monitor.

I have no idea how to fix it, but if your new monitor is not the standard square type, then it has a different ratio, and you need the settings for that ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My computer is older than dirt, and apparently doesn't support the resolution needed for the monitor, to be able to view things normally. I did a live chat with Dell, and found out what I thought I would need, is true. I need to update my video card.

Does anyone know a good place to buy a video card? I want to check around on prices. They told me the ones that would be compatible for my pc, and the price is insane!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Cat Addict

Don't get one through Dell. It will cost and arm and a leg. Do you have a Staples or Office Max in your area? I would try either of those. Whenever we need "upgrade pieces" for your computers we usually go to Staples. We've also bought a few things at Best Buy since we got one of those stores recently.

I just talked to my hubby who said really good video card would probably cost at least $200 but you could probably buy a "decent" one for less if you ask around. It really depends on the capabilities you're looking for.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
My computer is older than dirt, and apparently doesn't support the resolution needed for the monitor, to be able to view things normally. I did a live chat with Dell, and found out what I thought I would need, is true. I need to update my video card.

Does anyone know a good place to buy a video card? I want to check around on prices. They told me the ones that would be compatible for my pc, and the price is insane!

They are probably right..if your pc is 8 years old I doubt the slots the motherboard has will support the newer (and cheaper) graphics cards.

It would make more sense to replace the whole pc
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

If they gave you manufacturer and model numbers, just enter them is the google search box, you'll probably get tons of hits for after market places or even refurbished cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

There are cyberguys.com, tigerdirect.com, pcwarehouse.com, and many, many other suppliers.
An 8-year old computer isn't ready for the recycling bin yet, Geri. Sounds like you got a really nice monitor, and just need a good video card to run it.
You may want to upgrade your computer's microprocessor too, so it will better provide the higher data rate the new video card will need. Memory is cheep now, so you might add some RAM to your computer.
A "holistic" approach usually works best with this kind of upgrade. Treat the "whole computer".

I agree, don't buy from Dell, unless you really don't care how much it costs.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
An 8-year old computer isn't ready for the recycling bin yet,
That's the way I feel too, John. I guess that's why I've been so back and forth on buying new. Mine is really running good for an 8 year old computer, why ditch it yet, the monitor was the only thing really going out on it. There are some other things I want to buy right now first anyway, that are more important (my new camera, lens, and accessories for one thing).

I contacted my local computer guy, who gives pretty good rates, to give me a quote on some additional RAM memory, and the upgraded video card. I had asked him about the memory before, and he quoted me about $52 for 1GB........which is all this old computer can add on. But I wonder, tell me more about this "microprocessor" please.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just keep in mind that you can get a desktop system that will blow the doors off what you have for under $400, so there comes a point where upgrades don't make a lot of sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page