Collecting Donations...Any Ideas??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Collecting Donations...Any Ideas???

This year, I signed up for 4-H, and am going to show dog and horse. March 14th, an "Animal Mania" event is being held, and a bunch of animal rescues/shelters are going to be there from my and the surrounding areas, teaching, lecturing, and collecting donations. They are asking 4-H members to collect donations such as wet/dry dog/cat food, treats, toys, collars, leashes, etc.. So, anybody have any ideas on how I can increase my donation receivings? I am going to put a box at the road (yes, everybody is trustable around here!), and I talked to my local farm and feed store as they give discounts and work with 4-H members, and they said to call and speak to the manager during the week to ask if I can set up a donation box in their store! Any ideas anybody? Thanks in advance! Meg

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Collecting Donations...Any Ideas???

I know at the feedstore I worked at, a donation box worked wonders for a local non-profit drop off farm, where everyone dropped off all kinds of unwanted animals. The feedstore set up a system where anyone could buy a voucher for a bag of feed, which the farm would later come by and collect everything bought by the public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Is there a high school newspaper? Perhaps they would do a story on the 4 H club, and a note at the end telling them how they could help.

OR----

Would the local paper be interested in doing a story about 4 H and some of the young people in the area?

Would the local stores be willing to put a jar at checkout for donations? You would have to provide the jars and make bands to put around them (with your graphics program) with pictures of shelter animals. Perhaps you could make up a motto..such as "Your change will make a positive change for these animals," and put it on a board, propped like an easel. Good luck.

I would try all three. The worst they can do is say, "no." Some managers are nice; others aren't.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Premier Cat

A lot of businesses around here have donation jars by their cash registers for various charities. They usually have a colorful, nice-looking label on the jar, with a brief description of what the charity is about.
You see these in groceries, pharmacies, restaurants, even office supply and discount merchandise stores here in G'ville.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216

Thanks for the ideas!!! I will def. ask my local grocery store about that, because there is another jar there for donations to help the hungry and poor. Hopefully I get some good results, this is my first chance to really help animals. Sure, I've donated money to my Humane Society, but this helps out even more!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

ask your local vet(s) about putting up a small donation jar and ask if they would be willing to keep a box off to the side in case any clients wish to donate food, etc.

At least you'll know you're getting right to the pet lovers that way

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I used to collect donation boxes for my local shelter. The ideal spot for donation jars or cans is places that do lots of small cash transactions...convenient stores, coffee, pizza or sub shops etc. A customer handed a quarter in change is likely to just drop it in the donation box. Places where people typically pay with check or credit card aren't likely to dig in their wallet for cash and don't generally have as much traffic.

If you're collecting food for your local shelter make sure you know what brand they feed and advertise that. Because of the need for animals to have slow food switches, many shelters only accept one brand. Most shelters also have a wish list, identify what they need and focus your efforts there.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Cool Cat

Get the little kids involved by approaching your local Sunday schools and kindergartens for a Penny Campaign. Be sure to track how much each class gives, and give them an award (simple certificate of appreciation made on your computer). Set a goal for them (keep it kind of low) and make a posterboard sign with a thermometer, or pictues of puppies and kittens) that they can color in as they reach each step in their goal.
If you have a "pay for cans" place, start a Donate Your Recyclables" campaign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page