Turning into a Barnes & Noble junkie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Turning into a Barnes & Noble junkie

Ever since I discovered that B&N carries a line of jigsaw puzzles as well as many puzzle books I've found myself going there quite a bit.

Not only that, every Friday night at 7 p.m. at our store, there is a children's storytime where one of the employees reads 2 books. At the opposite end of the children's section is a wooden Thomas The Train setup that Nate loves. So we started a little family night thing where every Friday we pick up the kids from daycare after work and head over to the mall (our B&N is connected to the mall). This is our one night a week we get to eat fast food and then Ken takes the kids over to story hour/Thomas the Train while I peruse the rest of the store.

Last night I left there having bought 2 Chicken Soup for the Soul books, a 600-piece jigsaw puzzle of the World and one of the books in The Greatest Dot-To-Dot Book Ever series.

I got home and started flipping through the Chicken Soup books and quickly realized that what I had gotten were 2 books that held collections of stories taken from various other books, some of which I've already read. I'm not taking them back, though. I figure it's been a while since I read the other books and maybe they'll be just as interesting in a different collection.

Although the World puzzle is only 600 pieces it's still pretty hard. The continents do not connect to the oceans so what they recommend is working outside in, starting with the borders, the oceans, and then setting the countries/continents within. The oceans seemed daunting until I looked closer to the box and discovered that a set of quick facts for every country in the world is written on the oceans in alphabetical order, making it easier to find your way around.

I must be such a geek! Those quick facts are just the kind of thing I like. When I was kid, there were times that I would be bored and find myself copying lists of facts out of World Book Encyclopedia, on a variety of subjects - Continents, Flags of the Nations, Presidents, Bones in the Body. This, of course, was in the days before computers and I did not have an Atari or Nintendo yet so I had to be creative to keep myself busy.

Anyway, I finished the United States Stamp Puzzle last night, took pictures of it and put it away again. Today I started the World puzzle. If I can get Ken torn away from the TV tonight or tomorrow I'll have him post those pics.

Well, I'd better go tend to supper. I think my potatoes are about to boil over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

Re: Turning into a Barnes & Noble junkie

Jo, I used to love to assemble jigsaw puzzles. At the time, I only had one cat and it was easy to keep him out of the upstairs bedroom where I did my puzzles. But I wanted to ask you what was the largest piece count puzzle you ever assembled? So far, I have done a 3,000pc puzzle as my largest.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Cat Addict

I try to stay out of Barnes and Nobel, Walden Books, Half Price Books, etc. I can get myself into too much trouble in those stores. As a confirmed book addict I just head to the library.
When I was growing up there was almost always a jigsaw puzzle going on a card table. I really miss doing them, but I haven't figured out a way with the cats. Scottie thinks it's great fun to take a running start and slide right through the middle of the puzzle pieces.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldjr1969
But I wanted to ask you what was the largest piece count puzzle you ever assembled? So far, I have done a 3,000pc puzzle as my largest.
2000 pieces is the largest I've worked on. I was still in college and living with my folks at the time. Dad owns a construction company so he just brought a big sheet of plywood home for me to assemble it on. So I'd work on the puzzle for a while, having the plywood on the table, and then slide it under a bed when I was done working on every night.

I also collect Coca-Cola stuff and this particular puzzle was a Springbok brand (mostly sold in Hallmark stores, I think). It was a picture of a garage/storage unit filled with tons of Coke collectibles. Since I was still with my folks, I didn't want to take the time to put it together, only to have to tear it down to move it anywhere else, so I began to glue it. Problem is, Dad came along one night when it was only partially glued and still a bit wet and picked it up to move it, tearing a bunch of pieces. I literally cried when that happened! To this day, I still can't find another one of that puzzle. I think it was called "Things To Remember." If I happen to stumble upon one, I plan to put it together, glue and frame, and then hang in the dining room where my other Coke collectibles are.

Barnes & Noble also has a 2000-pc puzzle of the Last Supper portrait. I want that so bad, to be able to glue and frame and hang in our living room! I'll probably get it sometime this year.

The cats and the dog are all really good about leaving the puzzles alone but I haven't left a puzzle sitting out unattended to test them either. I still work on a sheet of plywood, setting the plywood on a card table to work for a couple hours, and then slide the plywood under the bed at night. It's worked out well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
I try to stay out of Barnes and Nobel, Walden Books, Half Price Books, etc. I can get myself into too much trouble in those stores. As a confirmed book addict I just head to the library.
Yep Me too!! I never get out of Barnes and Noble without spending at least $50. Its never happend no matter what I tried!!!! So now if I need to go to one I take Hubby with me so he can watch my spending .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

When I was living in Metairie, there was a B&N down the street at the corner of Division and Veterans. I used to go there a lot, mostly in their computer sections. They also had a really nice cafe in a front corner of the building, where I'd sometimes have lunch or dinner with friends.

When I was a kid, I was a jigsaw puzzle addict, too, and we had a card table set up just for the puzzles. It was great fun.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It's a great place to go!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I found that old Coke puzzle on eBay! I was wrong about the title. It's called "Coke Adds Life To Everything" and was issued in 1992, the year I graduated. I think I got it as a graduation gift (or bought it with $$ I got for graduation).

The eBay seller is in Minneapolis (not far from here so it probably wouldn't even take long) and wants $25 for it brand new, still sealed in the original box. Not bad, considering it was probably $20 when it was brand new!

I'd like to get it but I don't even remember my personal info for my eBay account. At any rate, here's what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COCA-COLA-PUZZLE-ni ... otohosting
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Premier Cat

E-bay can e-mail your info to you, if you can't remember your username or password, Jo.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Cool Cat

I had to ban myself from all bookstores.

And Pier 1 Imports...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page