Oh yay! (sarcastic) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oh yay! (sarcastic)

We finally got the total cost of repairs from the body shop - $3000! The minivan is already 7 years old and it's value, according to Blue Book, is only about $3500 depending on condition. We're still waiting to hear from insurance whether they'll pay for the darn thing.

Ken brought up the idea of not repairing the vehicle and trading it in on something else on the lot. They have a couple Honda Odesseys that Ken is really interested in. Before we had kids it had a Honda Accord but we had to sell it for something bigger because we became a family with kids. I have heard from many others how Hondas apparently hold their value very well.

OMG! The craziness is never going to end, is it? We still have about $9000 dollars to pay on the addition that was put on the house 3 years ago, about a $1200 bill at a furniture store that has to be paid by April or high interest kicks in, plus between the two of us we have about $3000 on Visa bills right now. Let's not forget, when spring thaw finally comes we have a dining room ceiling that needs to be fixed, too.

The guy that shares an office with Ken made a very good point about our vehicle, though. Even if insurance picks up the cost of the repairs we aren't guaranteed the repairs will hold for very many years and then by that time the trade-in value on the minivan will be next to nothing.

Momma said there'd be days like this but she never said there'd be about a 4-month stretch like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Oh yay! (sarcastic)

Jo, I wish I had the perfect advice for you, but all I can say is that my heart goes out to you.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Jo, I wish I had the perfect advice for you, but all I can say is that my heart goes out to you.
Thanks, Jeanie. Things are never as bad as they seem on the surface. I was just venting some steam. Ken and I took off from work a couple hours early to look at some program vehicles around town. We found a 2008 Chevy Uplander and have decided that once the van gets fixed we'll trade it in and get a few thousand off the Uplander. We did hear some good news in that insurance has FINALLY made the decision to cover the repairs on the vehicle, so all we have to pick up is the deductible.

I am kind of thinking of keeping my eye out for a part-time (approximately 10 hours a week) transcription job at home, though, to pick up some extra money. There are quite a few chiropractors around here and hopefully one of them needs somebody to type their work. Either that or maybe a veterinary clinic would need some part-time help. I'm not really excited about taking on more hours but if it helps us out financially I suppose it's best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Ande

Me and my fiance are taking a 91 day class of financial peace by Dave Ramsey. I say so far we are doing pretty well. Completed baby step one (1,000 dollars in savings) and now we are snowballing our debt starting from the smallest card up to the big boss. We are up to 18,000 dollars in debt but it should be paid off in 10 months!
If you are interested here's a link (http://www.daveramsey.com) for local classes. Just a 100 dollar fee and you get a really nice kit. You take a class once every week, interact with other people they share their stories of why they are there but its' not really having people getting into your finance business. I think it's like a support group. I recommend it for everyone and it doesn't matter how old or how young you are, you can really make a great financial change with the right mind setting and tools.

We are also having a car crisis. Maroone dealership sold me a car that has been through a hurricane and an accident and did not tell me. So hopefully I can trade for something similar in price and still carry on what I owe on the car.

I hope things look brighter for you soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page