part-time second job options - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
part-time second job options

I've had no luck finding another clinic that is hiring. I haven't been worried about it for the most part because I've been averaging 38-45 hours a week at my current job. Plus, I've got a raise coming. My 90 day review was supposed to happen Sunday but we were crazy busy and never got around to it. But the office manager said it was fine to do it Tuesday because it won't mess anything up since there's not a pay period in between

Anyway - I'm still going to need another job if I intend to buy a house. Just because I know how I tend to spend money and I don't want to force myself into a situation where money is tight. I'd rather have the extra money to live off of. Plus, the sooner I get one the more money I can save up before I even think about buying (and hopefully pay off my car this year and not have that to worry about).

So... that being said I'm trying to explore other options. I know being a vet tech is something I absolutely love doing. The money isn't great but I LOVE my job (and know a lot of people who can't say the same). When I think about actual "careers" I might want in the future to really earn a living, I can't think of anything else I'd want to do. But now I'm having to since I'm having no luck.

So I started kind of brain storming. Pharmacy technician? So far I'm finding that there are education programs (most under a year) then certification, but that most places don't actually require education and do on the job training and can certify you within a year or so of employment. Half of my job is already counting out medications, so I know its not something I would mind doing...

Another thing I've been thinking is working in some sort of lab. While I love most parts of my job, I could be perfectly happy running labwork all day. But I haven't looked into this one too much and it seems like there would be some sort of educational requirement.

Has anyone ever worked in a pharmacy or lab? Any insights?

Its not so much that I mind the thought of going to school, especially for a short time but it seems like if I don't HAVE to go, I'd much rather not. You know?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Re: part-time second job options

Sure, I know. I wouldn't become a student again unless I absolutely had to.

I love your pharmacy technician idea because it's something you could do anywhere. There are always going to be pharmacies around, and probably more and more of them as baby boomers age. I always shudder for people who have thin little niche jobs, like some of the government jobs you hear about, that would never be generalizable to another location.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

Looks like there's only one school in my area that has the pharmacy tech program - and its at a campus that's 30-45 minutes away. Plus, the classes wouldn't start until the fall semester.

I'd like to think by August-September I would be settled into a second job...

I was at the grocery store and asked the pharmacist there but she didn't seem to know the recommendations. She did mention they do lots of on the job training and that she thought they required certification - but also that she thought you could go for certification like a year after you started.

I guess over the next few days I'll be calling around to see if anyone hires without previous experience or education.

My other thought was to see about getting a tech job at the humane society. A girl I work with now started there when she first moved in but I've never asked her about it. It seems like the type of place that people would be likely to not stay long so they may have openings. I'll ask her about it tomorrow night.

Either that or maybe I'll get a huge raise and offered an extra shift during the week and won't have to worry about another job

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

I know the two pharmacies I've used here DO have young-ish girls working behind the counter. I mean, they looked too young to have gone to school and graduated with any type of certification in Rx. (they looked like HS girls)
We used the Rx that was inside our local Winn Dixie. They appeared to have the most young people working for them. After that store closed (thanks, Walmart) we switched Rx's to Eckerd, which has changed to Rite-Aid. Their employees are a little older and seem more polished/professional (graduates with some sort of certification), though I have seen two young-ish girls working behind the counter, too. So it appears they do have some positions open and probably will work with someone (dedicated) to help them get certification and training.
If I could go back to school for anything, I think I'd like to be an X-Ray tech or a Pharmacist. Aiming higher: a laboratory technician. I think it is wonderful when you can enjoy your job, feel passionate about it AND get paid to do it.
Good luck,
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page