Sweet 16 party question. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Is a "come as you are" party appropriate for a sweet sixteen?
No 3 50.00%
Yes 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Sweet 16 party question.

Hey there everyone.
I am hosting a sweet 16 party for my niece a week from this Saturday, and I was told that she would like to have a "come as you are party". Her mother thinks that it would be a fun party, but her dad doesn't like the idea at all. He's afraid that people might come inappropriately dressed, and that the other parents might not appreciate it.
What do you all think? I really would appreciate some thoughts on the subject. I don't have any kids myself, and I am not sure what to do. I don't want to have either parent upset, let alone the parents of the people that may show up at the party.
Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Ande
Re: Sweet 16 party question.

Considering it's still winter, I don't think there will be a lot of people showing off skin. But there are 4 ways to dress Casual, Semi Casual, dressy, and night club wear. If anything I'd ask people to show up semi casual that way they can still look great and not show up to the party with lots of skin showing and have baggy pants to their knees.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Why not just make it "Come as You Are (but please be appropriate)"

You're the hostess...you can always send someone home to change if necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Whatever you do, Jo, I'd make sure both parents approve. If your niece can reach an agreement with her dad about the wording (appropriate, as DB suggested) then the theme would be fine. If not, there are other fun ideas. Dress like the 50's, for example etc. Tell them to rent a video of "Happy Days." We did this at summer camp one year, and it was great fun. We played 50's--60's rock n' roll. You could have a twist contest, a "soda fountain," a "dress like the Fonz contest," etc.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Cat Addict

Culturally speaking, a Sweet Sixteen is a fancy party, different from a regular birthday party because of that. The Sweet Sixteens I know of and have seen pictures of had teens all decked out in near-prom regalia. Very high-class.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

How about an 1850's dress code? Anyone showing their ankles gets sent home?

Smart casual is normal for most parties. Do that.

Apart from reaching the age of consent, why do Americans celebrate 16th birthdays especially anyway?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

I think it is great that you are giving your neice a sweet 16 party. When I had one for my step-daughter we didn't specify, and the kids just came in comfy clothes. We actually had the party on New Year's Eve 1999 since her birthday was Dec. 22nd. Trust me, no one was going to come in a bikini in the cold weather.

If you wanted to make it a fancy dress party wouldn't you also have to have fancier foods and decorations? I say, let the kids have fun. I think the biggest thing that your niece will remember is that you hosted this party just for her.

Another thought- in this economy maybe families can't afford to buy their kids new outfits to go to a fancy party.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

The only Sweet 16s I say were all very formal.

I think a theme type party would be good.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for the input everyone. This is what my niece wants, and since it is her party, I think that she should be able to have it. She doesn't want to do the invitations thing, but rather, she wants to have someone call her friends at the last minute, and then just have them come over as they are. I can remember going to such a party as a teenager and we all had a fantastic time. It was fun to see people come to the party in all manners of dress. (Nothing untoward or provocative).
I know the kids that she associates with, and they are all upstanding teenagers. I know that it seems strange to think that there are teenagers out there that are not just into themselves, but, these kids all go to the same private christian school, and to the same church. The church community is the type where all of the kids are either married or engaged to be married by the time they are 21, and there haven't been any divorces. I am not worried as to how they will come dressed to the party, but my niece's father did not grow up within the community, and is therefore a little skeptical.
Keep the comments coming, as it could be a decision maker with her dad.
Thanks again.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Premier Cat

If you know this group of kids, Jacquie, and know them to be trustworthy young adults, I say let your niece have her "come as you are", last minute invite, party.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page