Shortened TV seasons - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Shortened TV seasons

Jeanie's "Lost" thread got me thinking about something we were discussing here last night. Why is it that TV seasons have become so shortened compared to, say, 25 years ago? I remember as a kid when the new stuff started either the last week of August or first week of September and continued with all-new programming (with the exception of Thanksgiving through New Year) until the last week in May.

Every night lately as the kids are going to sleep I tell hubby "Gee, I hope there were new shows on tonight" (we DVR everything) but ever since the first part of December all shows have been a repeats with the exception of a few scattered shows here and there. Here's another weird thing. I was able to scan ahead to next week's programming and found that CBS is repeated on Monday with all-new shows Tuesday through Friday. FINALLY! However, what's up with Mondays? I happen to like the Monday comedy lineup and there've only been a few new ones aired this year. Things have been just about as bad this year as they were last year with the strike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Shortened TV seasons

TV is the reason I read books.
I became very jaded with the networks introducing a slew of new shows every season and then cancelling almost every single one I liked to watch, so I just gave up on TV entirely in 2001. I will make an effort to catch specific cable shows, reality-type, not serial drama/comedy stories; What Not To Wear, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Time Warped, Ice Road Truckers, Jon&Kate+8 and Little People, Big World. I find I like not being tied to my TV, though I am happy we don't have a DVR, because then I could see myself getting caught up in the same cycle I was in before I "got mad and left TV".
...now I need to break away from the computer!
h

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Cool Cat

I knew Eureka barely makes any new shows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It's disgusting, Jo! The shortened season is how I began to watch "House," despite his arrogant, supercilious manner! There's usually a rerun somewhere, and I can watch it and get angry with him almost every night!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

House is a waste of a great talent
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
It's disgusting, Jo! The shortened season is how I began to watch "House," despite his arrogant, supercilious manner!
You know, I heard all the rave about House a few years ago so I decided to put it on the DVR. After the first episode, I just couldn't take his attitude and I've never watched it since.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I got drawn in by the patient's condition and the diagnosis. But I don't like the House character at all.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Cool Cat

I'm with Heidi.... Books are wonderful! My mother in law got me hooked on Desperate Housewives when it started, and since then I've refused to get attached to any new shows. The December/January break drives me nuts, but after a few weeks I start realizing I don't miss the shows all that much, and once summer arrives I feel free with knowing there aren't any new shows!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Kitten

Actually this is something that came up in conversation between me and a freind earlier. We watched the first season of Heroes during the summer, like two summers ago. Then we watched Season 2 every monday, right up untill the stupid writers strike (I understand what it was for, just heh, I missed some TV!) But now, they cut out what could have been like five or six episodes to wait around for the superbowl.

When I was younger shows had like, 24-26 or so episodes per season, but now, it looks like 13 is like the average number.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Cat

I must not be as old as I thought, becasue I always remember there being a break for Decemeber. So we can watch all of the X-Mas specials, then football takes over for a while, then boom, shows are back!

I enjoy the break, and heck I only watch Lost and Heroes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page