Pizza/Birthday party etiquette - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Pizza/Birthday party etiquette

I'm wondering how I should handle the following situation:

My kids' birthday party is this weekend at a pizza place in town that has air-inflated jumping cages for little kids. We invited my Mom and Dad, my brother and his girlfriend, my nephew, 3 toddlers the kids go to daycare with and their parents, as well as the daycare lady, her husband and 2 teenage kids.

The way it looks now, all will be showing up; however, I am not aware as to how many parents will be there. The moms may come alone with their child or both parents may come - I don't know.

We are picking up the tab for the pizza but the drinks are not included with a pizza purchase. Also, this place has a endless salad bar that is $2.89 per person with the purchase of a pizza.

Right now we figure it's going to cost at least $70 for the pizza (that includes the kids getting a couple 1-topping pizzas, kids' pop and tokens to use in the arcade games there, as well as ice cream sundaes). Is it wrong for us to ask that the party goers get their own drinks as well as salad bar if they would like, so we don't carry all that expense ourselves?

EDITED: Had to correct the word "etiquette." I wrote this late last night while tired and it was driving me crazy seeing it incorrect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Pizza/Birthday party ediquette

If I were invited to a birthday party at a pizza place I would assume that if the hosts were paying for the pizza they would be paying for the drinks as well, at least if we're talking soda. The kids probably won't be interested in the salad bar and won't care if it's not part of the deal, and as far as the adults, if I were worried about the cost I would talk it up as a pizza and pop party. If I were hosting, I would feel obligated to offer the pizza and soda at least. If another 65 bucks wasn't a huge deal I'd offer the salad bar, but if cost were an issue I would simply not mention it and hope that the guests would get the hint. After all, if you're going to a party at a pizza place you generally expect to eat pizza.....

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused...are you planning to provide pizza for the adults? The $70 you mentioned doesn't seem to cover that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I'm confused...are you planning to provide pizza for the adults? The $70 you mentioned doesn't seem to cover that...
Yes we are. Sorry for the confusion. My calculations are probably way off on all that (I'm tired) but we were going to get a 30-inch pizza which we were told will feed 10 to 12 and then get a 16-inch in addition to that. That does not include the birthday party package ($45) we got for all the kids; their two 1-topping pizzas, game tokens, pop and ice cream sundaes. It's probably more like $100 for all that. We've ordered their 30-inch pizza before for a co-worker's going away party but I don't remember at all what it cost. I'm thinking it was in the neighborhood of $32.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Cool Cat

Regional customs vary greatly.
In our area, once the kids hit 5 years old or so, a pizza party is considered for the kids only. The party giver usually invites a couple of adults to help watch the kids and they are included in the pizza count. It is a given that the greater expense of the party offsets the hassle and stress of doing it at home.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think you can avoid the salad bar by ordering the pizzas ahead of time, either call it in or get there a little early and do it before guests start arriving. But I think making people buy their own soda would be really cheesy. (pun intended ). They're coming to the party, I'm sure they're all bringing gifts...and not just one, but probably two. Since you've made the decision to provide the pizza, including the soda is the right thing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
They're coming to the party, I'm sure they're all bringing gifts...and not just one, but probably two. Since you've made the decision to provide the pizza, including the soda is the right thing to do.
OK, thanks for the input. After reading the first few comments last night I sat here and thought "yeah, pop should be included." The party starts at 1:00 and we're heading there with a few table decorations, etc, right after church so we should be there about 12:30. It's at that time that I was going to order the pizza that that it could be ready soon after everyone else arrives. I'm still going to mention the thing about the salad bar, though, which would be extra on their part. I love their salad bar and definitely look forward to it whenever we're there.

I also thought of another expense that we will incur out of this. The kids need $3 wristbands to get into the room that holds all the inflatable jumping things. There's another $18 we'll be forking over.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Premier Cat

...ask at the pizza parlor...
You may not need to mention to your guests anything about the salads at all. Usually those places require you to purchase the salad bowls at the register before the customer can go to the salad bar. If that is correct; arrive, set your table up and have pizza and drinks ready. Or inform guests that pizza and drinks will be arriving shortly. Be sure the staff does not run a tab that people can add their extra things to your bill. ...though most places I believe you order/pay before you get your food, so that may not be a problem.

If they inquire about the salads, you can let them know they can purchase them at the register or tell them you don't know, but they could ask about buying/getting them at the register. Sort of passive/aggressive, but it can get you off the hook if you feel put on the spot by them asking.
I would make one exception about purchasing salads: If you have a guest who cannot eat pizza for allergy/health reasons and they can only eat salad, then I would offer to purchase their salad.
h

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

All good things to mention, Heidi.

I do know from talking to the owner's wife on the phone yesterday that they will be running a tab for me and hubby. I specifically asked her about the salad bar issue and she told me that they have to pay for it before getting a plate so to just have them do that on their own. She knows not to let them put salad on our tab. Also, she told me to mention to them that if they are having salad bar to make sure they mention our birthday party so they don't get charged the "no pizza purchase" price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page