RSVP courtesy (bit of a rant) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

RSVP courtesy (bit of a rant)

For the kids' Birthday party coming up, I sent out invites to my folks and my brother/his girlfriend and then sent the kids to daycare with invites for the toddlers there as well as the daycare lady and her family. On the RSVP section of the invite I wrote to please contact me by Thursday and wrote our phone number. I wanted a number to figure how much pizza to buy.

Well, Thursday has come and gone and not one RSVP has come back but I do know my folks are going to be there. That was a given. Also, I know the kids from daycare and the daycare provider are going to be there only because the kids came home and talked about so-and-so being excited to come. I still don't know if it means the parents will be attending their child or just dropping them off.

If you've followed my other thread you know I'm figuring on all of them being there so we're ordering a ton of pizza. I'm definitely my mother's child and she lives by the idea that it's better to have too much than not enough. I'll be quite perturbed if a great number of those people end up not showing and we have to take tons of pizza home. I don't mind leftover pizza at all, but I didn't want enough to last for days; just a few lunches or something since I'm the only one here at the house at noon hour Monday through Friday. Plus, the less pizza we have to buy the less it will cost.

I know these people can read and dial an phone, for Heaven's sake. Why is it that they don't give the courtesy of letting me know whether or not their coming and how many in the family it will involve? Am I one of the few who actually responds to an RSVP request that I've gotten?

BTW, if you're reading this and you are one of those types of people who never responds to an RSVP - shame on you! There's usual a good reason that people want/need to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: RSVP courtesy (bit of a rant)

That puts you in a predicament, and will probably cause you to waste a lot of money. How rude!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Cool Cat

That is very obnoxious behavior, and I hate to say it, but I think your only options are:
(1) only order for the people you are sure are coming (maybe plus a little extra), and only order for the extra people after they come (meaning that they have to wait for their pizza)
(2) order for everyone who might possibly come, and bring a lot of extra pizza home or
(3) call the people who are invited and ask them if they're coming (which you shouldn't have to do, but there it is)

I actually would rank 2 at the bottom of the list. If you don't have the time/inclination to call, I think I would order just for the people I know are coming, plus maybe 1 pizza extra, and then not order any extra pizzas unless/until extra people show up.

(Oh, know there seems to be a consensus on the other thread already, but I thought I'd chime in agreeing: no, you don't need to buy salad, yes, you do need to buy soda. Many places offer pitchers, which might be cheaper.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

You do make some very good points, Bethany, but the thing with ordering the 30-inch pizza is it is by far the best "bang for your buck" with the number of people who are supposed to be involved. If I would end up having to order say three 16-inch pizzas versus the 30 plus one 16 it will cost more.

As far as pitchers of pop, I asked about that. They don't do that. Instead, you pay $1.69 per person and you can return to the soda fountain as many times as you like.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Premier Cat

Man ... why are people so rude and inconsiderate! How frustrating ....

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Cat

People have lost the common courtesies.

When I had this problem, I called each family that didn't reply. Several never even bothered to return the call. It was unbelievable.

If you have all that pizza left, call me - it won't be around for long.

And to the kids.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I would definitely call them to see if they're coming...."Gee Suzy, I hope whatever disaster kept you from RSVPing worked out OK because I know you'd never be so inconsiderate as to not RSVP unless there was a major issue in your life"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe next time (if there is a next time), you could put on the invitation that only those who RSVP will be included on the guest list.

Or perhaps in this day and age, you would have gotten more responses if the RSVP was by email. For some reason, people can't seem to be bother with actual phone calls anymore.

I don't know. Some people don't know how to act.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Oh, I would definitely call them to see if they're coming....
You know, I just thought of another little monkey wrench that makes the phone call process awkward on my part. One year for our daycare lady's B-day I came up with the idea that maybe all the parents could get together and purchase a big gift basket from Bath & Body. I think I talked about that here originally.

Anyway, I got all the names and locations from her teenage daughter and when I tried looking up their phone numbers I couldn't find any; land line phones have become a thing of the past for some and apparently they have cell phones. So I ended up just getting our daycare lady a gift certificate for a more reasonable amount coming from one family myself, no one else included. If I were to call these people tonight, I would have to ask the daycare lady for their phone numbers. This whole thing has put me into a sticky situation. I don't want to be rude with these people because their kids have played with mine 5 days out of the week for the last 2 years and they all get along real well. I also don't want to look uppity by waiting until people start showing up to order pizza because it kind of points fingers.

Most of all, I just want this to be a fun experience for the kids. I'm not that good at hiding emotion so I don't want to get upset on Sunday if people aren't coming. It isn't my kids' fault things turned out like this and it's their day to celebrate.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

You won't ruin the party if you order extra pizzas at the last minute. Just tell the waitress quietly. If anyone says "I wonder why we didn't get our pizza yet," say "I don't think the restaurant expected a rush at this time.

I don't like lies; that's the truth. They will be expecting the amount of pizza you order. I don't think the people who didn't call back would have the nerve to leave or make a nasty remark. If they do, they're very thoughtless.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page