The Onion - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

The Onion

I love The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/an ... s_on_every

There are days when I feel that this describes the people in power perfectly. That there actually are a few sane "sticklers" who want to really think things through and do it right while the loonies in the majority make fun of the sticklers as they slowly, but surely drive us into a bigger and bigger mess.

Who's with me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: The Onion

This remark, from your site, and by James Reid is ridiculous! His life depends on the condition of the shuttle!

Quote:
He's making the flight engineers review the ship for two days? I can see it from here. It's fine," James Reid said. "The equipment's good, the fuel's good, the gyroscopic compass that keep us from floating aimlessly out into the vacuum space is good. What more does he want?"
Added Reid, "I'm starting to hope our shuttle disintegrates just to spite that guy."
He can see it? That's not very reassuring! He wants it to disintegrate? Who's the loonie?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sorry?

Not sure I understand. It's not my site, it's The Onion, a fake news site...sort of the online version of the Daily Show or Saturday Night Live (at least when SNL is doing political satire). And I was just commenting that the real world seems this way, that sometimes, the higher ups want to quickly push through certain agendas/plans/technologies without really thinking about the big picture while a cautious few want to take a step back for a little bit...though perhaps not quite as exaggerated as this article clearly is.

Anyway, I found it amusing and just wanted to share. Nothing more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

I like it. I don't think Jeanie knows that the entire site is a spoof.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Cat Addict

Oh man, I LOOOOVE The Onion! Good times.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Velvet, I was agreeing with you, assuming that the site was genuine. I just quoted Reid to indicate that. It was the site you quoted. Rather than typing out the source, I referred to your documentation.

No, Marie, I didn't understand thqt the site was a spoof. The story seemed credible These things actually happen in real life. Well, I guess I'm the fool here. I would venture to guess, however, that I might choose a reference some other members are not acquainted with.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry, Jeanie, you're not alone. I sent someone an article from a site in England which is also "fake" (The Daily Mash) and they thought it was a real news story. It had to do with the plane that landed in the water and how all the passengers kept saying how much better it was than landing at Heathrow.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well then I misunderstood as well. Sorry 'bout that Jeanie.

And you're right. It IS believable...take out the crazy sarcasm and you've got a fairly accurate picture of what actually goes on in the world. Just my two cents.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to Ande

The onion wrote an article about my fiance's father being gay.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Premier Cat

I've loved the Onion for years. It appeals perfectly to my irreverent sense of humor. I'd repeat two of my favorite headlines from the Onion, but I'm pretty sure it would offend people.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page