Choose Your Own Adventure books - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Choose Your Own Adventure books

Anyone that was a child of the '80s may remember these books, basically short books that have you read a few pages and then choose between 2 or 3 options which would take you to another page to read a bit more, choose something else, etc.

I certainly did not read much as a kid and still don't but I have never forgotten the CYOA series. They were so fun. YOu could literally have about 20 different stories out of each book.

Aside from CYOA, one of my favorite childhood others was Judy Blume. One of the characters she wrote about was a little boy named Fudge. Great for children about 10 years age. When I was in Barnes and Noble last time I just about caught myself buying a Judy Blume book but what stopped me is the fact that I'm supposed to be way beyond that kind of reading material. Oh well! Sometimes it would be fun to be a kid again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure books

The Cave of Time?

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Cool Cat

I remember reading something like that, and yeah, it was fun! I do still enjoy the occassional children's book, sometimes it's nice just to have a quick easy read!

Silver Deer and...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Premier Cat

I was a children's branch-librarian and that job gave me a new appreciation for children and young adult literature. My library sent me to a conference/talk that was given and the subject was: "The Best New Young Adult Books of 1998". I performed a mini-presentation for my home-library staff and on my recommendation, we purchased many of those books. Then, when we moved to WA State, the library up there hired me to give the same mini-presentation, but the audience also included area teachers and parents, not just library staff. Because it was a year later, their library system had many of the books and for several weeks before the presentation, we pulled them in and stockpiled them. It made a great presentation as I was able to pick up each book to talk about it, hand some of them around AND they were made available to check out to the patrons at the end of the presentation.

Even today, 10yrs after my library job, I still enjoy the young adult books. Don't feel bashful, go ahead and buy them, then your kids can read them when they get older! One book that I really enjoyed when I was in school, was "Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians". That could be a fun book to read to your kids.
*if anyone has objections to 'magic', it really did not contain any magic.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Don't feel bashful, go ahead and buy them, then your kids can read them when they get older!
You know, Heidi, I just may have to do that! I think the thing that makes these books appealing to me is that they are an easy read and would take me back to a time I remember as a kid, which was generally great for me!

I got on Barnes & Noble's website and starting searching another series of books I had as a kid - the "Little House" series from Laura Ingalls Wilder. At the time I had those books as a kid, they couldn't hold my attention very long because I just wasn't that "into" reading long books but I remember the print being rather large and I'm sure today those books would be quick. The other thing is I used to watch Little House on the TV all the time. Reading those books would probably bring back some more good memories and Emma would probably like them when she's older.

Lastly, I just might have to get some of the Judy Blume books, specifically the "Fudge" series. I remember really smiling at those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page