I sewed curtains today! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I sewed curtains today!

They certainly aren't anything fancy, just a flat panel, but this is something I've never done before! I wanted to make it darker in my office during the day, so I don't get the glare from the windows on my computer screen. I had this bolt of heavy, dark navy fabric just sitting around, so thought I'd put it to good use. I had gotten this fabric on the clearance table back in 2005, for like $2 a yard, so the curtains really only cost me about $8 to make, and they work perfectly! They ended up turning out really good, except I wish the fabric had been a bit wider itself. I wanted a little more floof to them, you know how curtains bunch up when you put them on the rod. But, I suppose, it's such a heavy fabric, it may not have done that anyway. Now I'm motivated to make curtains for the bedroom finally!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I sewed curtains today!

Yay! When I had my first major flare in 2002, I was home from work for 45 days. My Doctor put me on a low dose of steriods and I couldn't leave the house, but I needed to DO something! So I pulled out some fabric I'd had for about 2-3yrs and began sewing. I completed several unfinished quilts, made several new quilts and I made valances for the living room window, three bay windows, kitchen sink window and french doors. I also attached matching sheer panels to the valances to allow in light but still keep our privacy. I had a little fabric left over so I made a sheer/valance shower curtain, sewed some of the fabric onto the gathered ends of hand towels to hang in the kitchen and even sewed a panel on the bottom of a bath towel for the bathroom to match.

I have painted my K/LR a different color; I went from a sage green to a light/medium aqua blue. My bedroom/bath will still remain the same colors, and since my foster kittens over the years have destroyed the sheer shower curtian, I can 'recycle' some of my kitchen window treatments and re-do my bathroom so all the fabrics look neat and tidy. (no little fabric threads, pulls and runs from kitten claws!)

I have some deep chocolate and aqua fabric, with a multi-shades-of-aqua narrow-stripe sheer to do the window treatments in the K/LR, I just haven't decided what shape to make the valances and I still need to purchase backing fabric, but it is fun planning how I want them to look.

We purchased ready-made nave tab curtains for the extra room and as it is the room Hubby watches TV in and likes to take weekend afternoon naps in front of the TV, he has asked me to try and make 'black-out' curtains. I think I'll just take the tab curtains down, give them a wash/dry and make a quilt out of each panel, sandwiching cotton batting material and backing fabric to the panels. The added bonus, is with the batting, they will be insulated, too.

You better watch out! You may find yourself wanting to re-decorate all of your windows!
heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I probably will do the other windows! I get so bored just sewing alpaca coats all the time, I need to spice it up a bit, and keep my mind from freezing up from boredom!

I like your idea about insulated panels too, and I actually thought of that. I have some poly batting here that I don't use for my coats, because it's to thin, but it would be perfect for insulated panels. I might just do that, because our windows are so bad, and they get so cold, it would really help!

I can feel a trip to the fabric store coming on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Premier Cat

You go, Geri!

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page