We are now part of the statistics. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

We are now part of the statistics.

The SO was fired yesterday.

His company is hired through ElectroMotive to house/ship parts. There was talk and emails about how their "schedule" in April is completely empty, which means no work as of then.. so we started to save up thinking we had a bit before the axe came down.

Apparently, the SO (who has never missed a day, always comes in early, and is the one everyone goes to for help) "doesn't meet their qualifications" for his position. Versus the other few temp-agnecy staff who miss days constantly for various reasons, show up late, gossip like nags and don't know how to do their jobs half the time get to stay.

The only thing we can figure is that since he is a company employee rather than just a temp, he gets his vacation plus his benefits and that he would cost them more money... whereas the temps cost nothing and can be fired at a whim without reprecussions.

I gotta tell you, this club sucks.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Re: We are now part of the statistics.

When the other guy is part of the statistics, the statistics are just numbers. When it's you, then it's personal. Sometimes it's better to just be a number. Sorry to hear of your loss. And loss is it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I'm so sorry. I hope he finds a good job soon.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry that you are part of the club. Sadly, it makes business sense intheir minds to lose the people who cost them more money. I think it is very shortsighted, but that is how it goes.

I hope the SO finds something quickly.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Cat Addict

Good luck, and tell your SO to try not to take it too personally, as hard as that sounds. We are just seeing the worst of everyone right now - lots of people running scared and not doing the right thing. As if we can get by as a nation by treating each other badly - NOT!

My Hubby just went through the same thing - fired two years ago - back to school - a year job seeking - hired and laid off - now hired in a good job. The way he found the good job was by being out there getting schooling and training and meeting people. A recruiter for a local company heard about him through friends he made in one of his classes.

Lots of luck and good wishes....Fran
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Cat

I am so sorry. It really does suck. It happened to me some months ago. I got laid off along with hundreds of others...and my former employers did it via email. Classy eh?

Not to be insensitive, but make sure you file for unemployment right away. Most states' departments of labor are overloaded with claims (and it's only going to get worse, unfortunately) and it can take time to get your claim through.

Good luck.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks everyone.

He will be applying for EI Monday/Tuesday. He needed a few days to "absorb" everything.. shock, I guess. I felt the need to nag him to do it NOW, but I held back.

I know we will be okay, and the pets won't suffer any (it's almost peanuts to feed everyone per month), it's just scary! Suddenly, we have to worry about the little things, like stopping for coffee in the morning and going on a date once a week.

Kelly

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so very sorry. I was a member for eight loooooong months. I finally got a job after posting on Craigslist, and let me tell you, employers are looking at it. With times being so tough, a lot of companies aren't going through agencies anymore. Just a thought. Good luck.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry this has happened! I hope he finds another job soon! Best of luck!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the club.

Do you all think we should throw a party?

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page