Firefox - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Firefox

I have been having internet problems and errors for a long time now, ever since we went with a bundled package of cable/phone/internet, with out phone company. I'm at witts end, and they were here again today. This has been nothing but problems! They insist it's my computer, but I've gone from my old computer, to my now new, 1 1/2 week old computer, and the same thing. They made me download Firefox search engine today, insisting that Internet Explorer was my problem, but I've had nothing but error after error on Firefox, and it takes forever to get reconnected. It's worse then I.E.!

Can I just uninstall Firefox, or do I need to do anything specific to get it off of here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Re: Firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
I have been having internet problems and errors for a long time now, ever since we went with a bundled package of cable/phone/internet, with out phone company. I'm at witts end, and they were here again today. This has been nothing but problems! They insist it's my computer, but I've gone from my old computer, to my now new, 1 1/2 week old computer, and the same thing. They made me download Firefox search engine today, insisting that Internet Explorer was my problem, but I've had nothing but error after error on Firefox, and it takes forever to get reconnected. It's worse then I.E.!

Can I just uninstall Firefox, or do I need to do anything specific to get it off of here?
Go to ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS in CONTROL PANEL and choose REMOVE and POOF, it's gone. But this will NOT solve your problems, it sounds to me like you are having connection issues which is not the browsers fault. FireFox is an excellent browser and is far less susceptible to internet threat than that of Internet Explorer. I myself use ONLY FIREFOX and have done so for as many years as I can remember. I think your ISP is blowing smoke up your *** so, you need to go back to them with a heavier hand this time.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Cool Cat

When you call, ask them to escalate your ticket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsworld
I think your ISP is blowing smoke up your *** so, you need to go back to them with a heavier hand this time.
I agree. Most ISP help desks cannot pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Geri, you could always try to trace route your favorite sites. You could either use the windows tracert program or download pingplotter. If the connection issues are at your ISP's end, then your ping times over the first few hops will be very very slow (bigger numbers). I have had issues with roadrunner before and their techs tried to give me the blowoff. But when I furnished information much more detailed than the average customer, it seemed that things were resolved quicker.

Btw, is your service AT&T U-verse? Their modem boxes are...just plain bad. My mother has it and their box just took a dump. Problem is...with telephone service being VOIP, when the modem flaked out, no home phone.

So Geri, the thing to do with the service center is to go in with as much information as you can get.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
I think your ISP is blowing smoke up your *** so, you need to go back to them with a heavier hand this time.
THANK YOU for saying this, it really makes me feel less foolish now. Today is the 4th time they have been out here, and everytime they come, the computer is working fine, and they don't do anything........yet I have 3 FULL pages of logged errors that I've been keeping track of since 2/9! Today they downloaded Firefox for me, and told me to shorten my telephone line going to my modem. Good grief! As soon as he left, and I started to browze around on-line, I started getting this error (see below), and sometimes it takes 4 times of "trying again" to connect. Between 2:07 p.m. and 3:12 p.m. I had gotten this error 6 times, and on top of that, photobucket now takes FOREVER to down load photos as I'm viewing them on the forum here.

CONNECTION INTERRUPTED.
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interupted while negotiating a connection.

Please try again.

One other thing he told me was that possibly my AVG (not the free version) is interfereing with my connection when it's logging on to search for updates. Could this be possible?

Don.......I wish I knew more about computers to do what you are saying. I know it would be the best possible thing for me to have more ammo to go at them with. This is our local phone company providing the service, and the reason we went with them was that prior to this, we never had one complaint about our service, it had always been excellent before this. Not one interuption on our dsl or telephone.........and on top of that, we now get unlimited free long distance.

I don't know if you'll know anything about this, but I have a Comtrend Wireless ADSL2+ Router. I don't use it wireless though. They changed it the last time they were out, and nothing changed, I'm still getting errors.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

Ask them to do a TDR (time domain reflectometer) test on your phone line, Geri. This will confirm the physical integrity of the line and give a distance reading to the local central office connection point.
If there is a physical fault in the line, it will give the distance to the fault.
I wish I could be more help to you.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like an issue on their end to me as well.

Quote:
One other thing he told me was that possibly my AVG (not the free version) is interfereing with my connection when it's logging on to search for updates. Could this be possible?
One way to find out...disable updates for a while and see what happens. Then at least you can tell them that you eliminated this as a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Possible, but unlikely on a broadband connection. All it is doing is querying the update server for any new details. Very little bandwidth would be used in that case.

Quote:
Don.......I wish I knew more about computers to do what you are saying. I know it would be the best possible thing for me to have more ammo to go at them with. This is our local phone company providing the service, and the reason we went with them was that prior to this, we never had one complaint about our service, it had always been excellent before this. Not one interuption on our dsl or telephone.........and on top of that, we now get unlimited free long distance.
Geri, Click here to learn how to use windows traceroute. It really is rather simple though and I know you can figure it out! But downloading and installing ping plotter is easier. The interface for ping plotter makes it very easy to use and the graphical readout would be much clearer for you. Plus, unlike traceroute, Ping Plotter keeps running so you can collect ping/trace data over an extended period of time.

If you have a web-saavy friend, they can find out the actual IP of your modem and ping it. Also, are you using any software firewalls? I know they can sometimes cause issues like what you describe. Oh, and keep firefox.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
CONNECTION INTERRUPTED.
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interupted while negotiating a connection.

Please try again.
Now, this is really interesting, because I've been using primarily Firefox for awhile, and I occasionally get this error. MY opinion is that Firefox is timing out too soon, but I can't figure out how to lengthen the timeout. So, it might be that at least a part of the problem IS indeed Firefox. If she's got a marginal connection to start out with, and the browser times out too soon, then it's compounded.

I concur with John's advice. They need to do this test from their central office. No need for anyone to come out. They did this once for me when I was having connection problems. They found out I was dropping up to 90% of the packets sent, which is going to slow things WAAAAAAY down from all the resending that needs to be done. The problem turned out to be a bad splitter in my house.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Cool Cat

I agree that the problem doesn't sound like a browser error...but if it helps you feel better, I switched to Firefox from IE a while back and Firefox drives me up the wall! Nine times out of ten it was refusing to load pages at all. Catforum, yahoo, google, icanhascheezburger... none of those sites exist, according to FireFox. I've jumped through hoop after hoop on high-security websites but still can't get them to load, despite browser settings & special cookie allowances. Firefox sure ain't what it was cracked up to be I had to enter some special routing number in my internet settings to make pages load on a semi-continual basis. I still have to use IE to get anything important done and make sure Firefox doesn't screw up anything important.

Have you tested your IE since you got the bundled package? Is IE working perfectly under the exact same conditions as when Firefox fails?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page