Home remedies for a dry, nagging cough? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Home remedies for a dry, nagging cough?

My son has had a terrible nagging cough, completely nonproductive, for a couple days now. We've tryed his albuterol rescue inhaler on him (were told we could try that to help get him through a cold) but it hasn't worked. We've given Children's Tylenol Cold & Cough to no advil as well as Mucinex and nada!

So I started looking up some home remedies to try. I found

1) a warm bath
2) warm milk and honey
3) sucking on peppermint candy
4) adding a few tablespoons of vinegar to water (ewww!)

and a couple others which I don't recall right now.

We don't have any honey in the house but I stuck my son in the bathtub but he doesn't like the water very warm so I suspect that's why it isn't really helping. No chance to build up steam. I also gave him a peppermint candy to stuck on and he's still coughing vigorously.

Is there anything else I could try? He's going to bed in a few minutes and we've got the humidifier running in his room to build up steam plus it has liquid Vick's VapoRub in it. He's also getting Vick's smeared on his chest and on his feet (with socks on top - found that one online about a year ago and I swear it does work most of the time!).

Anyway, if you can suggest anything else I'm willing to try. He coughed for over an hour last night before his body finally gave out and he fell asleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Home remedies for a dry, nagging cough?

Try running the shower on hot with your son just sitting outside of the shower. He would get the steam benefit without having to be in the water.

Mucinex wouldn't work because it is an expectorant and thus, is made to help you to cough stuff out of your lungs. Delsym is a great cough medicine for adults and kids.

Hope he feels better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Cat

I used to always get really nagging coughs (and still do!) - the kind that keep you up all night and make you feel like you've done about 1000 situps! I know how horrid it is and really hope that he's feeling better soon

When I was little my mum used to heat up some honey and lemon juice. It worked wonders - the lemon cuts through the phlegm and the honey soothes (and IMO it tastes delish!). Though I guess that one might be tricky if you don't have any honey in the house!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Cat Addict

If you don't have a humidifier, try boiling a pot of water on the stove for a few hours. Does wonders!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Premier Cat

When I was young I had bronchitis (sp?) really bad, all the time! Living with my grandparents, grandma was big on home remedies. She did all the time what both Lea and aphrodeia suggested. She'd run the shower with the bathroom door closed, till that room was so foggy you couldn't hardly see, and then I'd sit in there for a few minutes. She also had water boiling on the stove, and I'd breath the steam right in, it also added humidity to the house. They always worked for me. Grandma also made me wear a dirty sock with Vicks on it............mind you, that one wasn't very pleasant, and I don't really suggest trying it either! LOL!

Hope he feels better soon!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Cat

Steam is definitely a good way to thin the phlegm and makes it easier to cough it up (em....sorry for the detail there ).

Don't want to be a panic-monger as I'm sure that steam is a really well respected and effective remedy for coughs, but as a warning I once had a v steamy bath when I had a fever (high temp, shivery all over etc as well as a cough) and I got pleurisy which was not the nicest experience. Not sure if it was related to the steam but have always associated it in my mind. That said it probably would have been because I had a fever etc too rather than just a cough!

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Tom Cat

THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS

My grandma used to make me cough syrup from moonshine(in Kentucky 35 years ago!) She would mix 1 cup of moonshine, 8oz of topical glycerin, and a stick of rock candy. Dissolve the rock candy in the mixture, this takes a week, and you had the worlds greatest cough syrup! Even if it didn't cure your cough if you drank enough of the stuff you didn't care if you were coughing!
She also had a bottle of something called "Lees Save the baby". It was a mixture of camphor, oregano, rosemary, and balsam oils in a suitable lard base. Stinky stuff!

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, thanks everyone. I guess we were all so tired last night trying to think of things to ease the cough that we didn't of the simple things like running a hot shower to build up steam - DUH!

At any rate, hubby took him to the ER last night to see if he might need a nebulizer treatment or something and I stayed home while our daughter was sleeping. They did x-rays on his chest and thought they saw a spot of pneumonia. The official read of the x-ray is not back yet but we got some amoxicillin for him along with liquid albuterol. Now that he's awake the cough isn't quite as bad. He's going through streaks where he coughs about 4 or 5 times and then stops for 20 minutes or so.

Figuring that I'd be home with him today, I decided to work a few hours in the middle of the night so I wouldn't have to try and get it all in while he's awake. I didn't get to bed until 4 a.m. and I am absolutely whipped!

Well, gotta go. Thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Poor little poppet. If the cough continues you could contact your doctor to see if she will prescribe something with codeine like Phenergan or Tylenol.

Sparky- my Dad used to make some sort of concoction for a cough that had Blackberry Brandy in it. It would knock you on your butt! My ex mil also used to make a cup of tea with honey, lemon and a good shot of whiskey. Ahhh, the good old days.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

My mother made the same thing, Leazie. She called it a hot toddy.

The whiskey, candy mixture is available for sale. It's called Rockin' Rye, and is excellent for sore throats or coughs. You just take a teaspoonful at a time, and it eases sore throats and tickling coughs instantly.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page