Tornado and Hail storm 2/18/09 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Tornado and Hail storm 2/18/09

I had a proper melt-down last night. Hail pounding on our roof and sounding awful, Tigre NOT standing in the barn and instead standing right out in it and getting pounded. Husband making room in the central closet for us. Cats freaking out and dashing from hiding place to hiding place with every flash of lightning and crash of thunder while I'm trying to calm them in a shaky and warbling voice saying "It's okay kitties, it's alright babies, we'll be okay." I think I was trying to convince myself, and I was not doing a very good job of it at all.

I have really grown to love the South, but I'll take California earthquakes over tornados _any_ day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tornado and Hail storm 2/18/09

Wow, Heidi, that's amazing! Glad everyone is ok! I've been lucky, never been through a tornado or anything, though back at the other house we had an aweful big tornado go through about 15 min from our house. We've had shear wind go through the yard too, dropping some trees, and knocking over the fence, but never hail that size! Wow! I can't imagine what that must have sounded like.

I wonder, do you have a steel pole barn for the horse? I know our pole barn, even with a good down pour of rain, sounds awefully loud.......enough to scare me, and I wonder if that's why she was prefering to stand outside?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It is a metal roof and I know that is why she won't stand under it. Even when it rains she stands out in it. She goes under after the rain and since it is out of the wind and has hay, I am sure she is able to dry off and keep warm from digesting hay.
My other horse, Q, would pin her ears and snake her head around, biting and kicking at the raindrops and when it didn't quit, she'd run into the barn and stand there looking ticked off until the rain stopped. She came here from Colorado where they had a wood/composite roof and it was much quieter. After about 2 weeks, she decided she could stand the noise better than the wet of the rain. Priss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

That must have been so scary. Can you put foam insulation panels on the inside of the barn roof so that it is not quite so loud during a storm?

I'm glad that you are all ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Can you put foam insulation panels on the inside of the barn roof so that it is not quite so loud during a storm?
We could, but I doubt I could convince my husband it is necessary to do so (cost) when the roof is already doing what it was supposed to do; which is keep the hay and horse protected/dry. It is the horse deciding not to utilize the building. I can have a gate hung and be able to close her in there so she will have no option to be out in the storm, but we have no water down at the barn yet and I feel it is more important to keep her access to the watertub always available. When we get water in the barn, then I'll have no guilt/problems with closing her inside.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Premier Cat

That's scary, and so weird considering it's February!

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Wow you sure got it! I lucked out and didn't get anything but rain and some thunder. Down south where I used to live got hit hard with tornadoes and hail. It was quite a night. Actually this weather is about right for GA cause we have temps that change so quickly it just produces storms. Yesterday at noon it was around 40 degrees or so and then by the time the storms got here around 4pm it was 58-62 degress. Quite insane!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Oh my gosh, that hail is enormous!!

I'm glad you're all okay.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Cat Addict

How scary! Silly Horse! At least Q was sensible about it.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry I'm late to this thread. That hail sure looks scary. There was some wild weather here, too, and I was afraid to go out and look at my car, for fear it would be all beaten up.
It's alright, though.

Silly horsey! This house has a metal roof, too, and it bothers Arianwen a little, but she has the sense to stay inside.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page