working from home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
working from home

This isn't necessarily something I'm 100% interested in, but the more I look into it the more questions I end up with.

Basically, I'm still having trouble finding a second job. I know I should just count myself lucking to have a first job the way things are going around the country. But I'm still trying.

The problem is I have no idea what else I'd want to do.

Browsing for ideas I keep coming across websites for those typical "make $5000 a week working from home" sites that I know are scams.

But I DO know that there are people who work from home and make a living of it. My question is - what do you DO? How you do you do it, where did you get started, etc?

I'm not specifically talking about people who run a business from home. But something simple, you know?

I mean does it really exist?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Premier Cat

Re: working from home

We have a bunch of people who work from home at least part of the week, but they tend to be writers and researchers who started here in the office, and then worked a deal to work partially from home. In an office setting, it seems more likely that you'd start 5 days a week in the office, and then after you've proved yourself, they might let you work at home.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Premier Cat

I have a small sewing business that I run here at home. Nothing big time, but it keeps me busy.........sometimes ALOT busy. It came to be when we used to raise alpacas a few years ago. I actually got my mom started in it, and then after doing it for a couple years, decided she didn't want to do it anymore. I had just been laid off from my job, and needed work, so I took it over, and really worked hard at it to expand to were it is right now with some marketing ideas I had. It really started from a very simple idea, mom and I worked as a team to make the patterns work, then it just took off. With a little bit of work, anyone can take an idea, or something they really enjoy, and make it work for them. The one thing to keep in mind is that it can take time to really get it off the ground if you go this route, and it can also take time to get the word out, getting a customer base built up, and to really start making money with it. You have to learn to be creative with your marketing to. I don't regret it one bit!

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Cat Addict

I'm doing medical transcription at home but that's something I took courses in to be able to learn the medical jargon and everything first. Also, I have to admit the pay wasn't great when I first started because it takes time to get used to the doctors and work up speed (paid by # of lines typed). I've beend doing this for 10 years now, though (not always from home) and love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page