Food You OD'd on as a Kid? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Food You OD'd on as a Kid?

In another thread, Petspy mentioned that his parents fed him tuna sandwiches a lot as kid and now he doesn't eat it. It reminded me of my mother's beef stew....

My mother belonged to a bowling league on Monday nights. She had to leave the house before my father got home from work. So every Monday we would have beef stew because it was something that was easy for me to heat up for dad when he got home (it was the dark ages before microwaves). It got to the point where I hated the darn stew so much that I would actively seek invitations to eat dinner at my friends' houses on Mondays and left Dad to heat up his own stinkin' stew. To this day, nearly 40 years later, I still don't want to see or smell the stuff!

So...what did your mom feed you so much as a kid, that you can't stand the sight of now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Food You OD'd on as a Kid?

I liked everything my Mom cooked, she always served a wide variety of dinner foods, though I hated her meatloaf. I make my meatloaf with oatmeal and greatly prefer it over her bread-crumb-mush that she called meatloaf. We ate a lot of fresh fish (2-4 nights a week) because my stepdad would go fishing quite a bit. Good thing we all liked fish.

One thing that DID make an impression on me...when I was a senior in High School I had my jaw broken, realigned and wired shut for 7 weeks. Of course, I could not eat anything, it all had to be liquid. It couldn't even be a 'cream soup' anything, it had to be very liquid with little substance to it. So, for those 7wks I lived on Swiss Miss hot cocoa mixed with water and chicken broth.
To this day...I cannot stand the sight/smell of chicken broth.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Cat Addict

I didn't grow up eating your usual American food. My mom is from Japan, and she learned most of her Western style dishes in the 60s from an International Encyclopedia of Cooking, when international was big. Julia Child, James Beard, etc. (She took a studious and organized approach to lots of aspects of life, we now realize!) She became an excellent cook, and we ate dishes like beef stroganoff, chicken paprikash, goulash and curry, along with occasional meatloaf and pot roast. Lots of dishes over rice. Sometimes we also would have a Japanese style dinner, like sukiyaki or tempura. Altogether not your usual American fare.

Then one summer my mom discovered Sloppy Joes and Tacos! Packets of sauce or flavor powder! Chop chop chop, no hours of simmering in the electric skillet! She was so excited to try something new that we ate sloppy joes and tacos for three months - until we were begging her to make some curry please, or some stroganoff! To this day I won't willingly eat a sloppy joe, and I have never served my family a taco, either, even though we live in Southern California and Mexican food would be so easy...

Fran

P.S. Heidi - how lucky you didn't end up hating chocolate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

My Mom is a great cook, but I hated my Mom's beef stroganoff! It was chucks of stew meat, cream of mushroom soup and nasty noodles. To this day, I still hate that type of noodle and it took a couple decades for me to eat mushrooms.

But I have to say, I had someone else's beef stroganoff once, years later, which included ground beef and sour cream, and it was deeeelicious!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Premier Cat

When I was 13 we moved to a small farm. The people who had place before us keep horses, but did not clean out the stalls. Literally there was 3-4 of manure in the stall . My sister-in-law and I spent hours and days working on cleaning them out. Every time we worked on the stalls my Mother would make beef stroganoff with hamburger. It seemed that what she was feeding us wasn't far from what we had been standing in. It was gross! Even the thought of it right now is making my stomach turn.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

When my mom was in the hospital having their 5th baby, my dad was in charge of feeding us 4 dinner before the sitter came over so he could go to the hospital. I remember the 4 of us sitting at the table not wanting to touch what he was feeding us....dumplings. All I could think was they looked like cabbage patch kid's heads! And my dad just stood there as we all sulked, not wanting to eat them.

I also over dosed on sunflower seeds one time. As a special treat, my parents would take us to Bonanza. We loved being able to make our own salads. I would OD on the sunflower seeds....and went through a period of wanting to vomit at the site of them! haha! I do like them today, though.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I am definitely made of soup, especially Scotch broth. However, my mother made every type of soup I can think of. I make soup often now, but I needed time away from it for a while. Mom also made tripe with leeks and a cream sauce. I remember enjoying it, but I probably wouldn't eat it now, knowing what it is.

When my dad was the only parent home, we had blood (black) pudding, which I also remember as tasting good, but wouldn't eat now! That and fried bread were his specialties, that is, the ONLY thing he cooked.

I learned to cook at an early age! Self preservation!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

cinamon rolls and donughts
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM

My dad would constantly cook Pork Chops and.... Fried Spam sandwichs....I thought I'd go crazy!!! Now I barely even eat anything that's pork and definitely not spam at all! Mystery Meat is a no no!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
In another thread, Petspy mentioned that his parents fed him tuna sandwiches a lot as kid and now he doesn't eat it. It reminded me of my mother's beef stew....

My mother belonged to a bowling league on Monday nights. She had to leave the house before my father got home from work. So every Monday we would have beef stew because it was something that was easy for me to heat up for dad when he got home (it was the dark ages before microwaves). It got to the point where I hated the darn stew so much that I would actively seek invitations to eat dinner at my friends' houses on Mondays and left Dad to heat up his own stinkin' stew. To this day, nearly 40 years later, I still don't want to see or smell the stuff!

So...what did your mom feed you so much as a kid, that you can't stand the sight of now?
Any meat, I hate meat, I have been beef free for 18 years now, besides I am forever scarred (long story)

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page