For those who liked my goats...... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

For those who liked my goats......

Kidding season will begin in about 2 weeks.

I have 3 purebred Nubians due in March. 1 purebred Nubian and 1 Pygmy due in April.

I'll post a few photos to of course.

This is Delilah. She took 2nd place at one show. The last show of the season was a two ring show. She took 3rd in one ring and took 1st in the other. What a way to end the show season! Delilah is bred to Zepher (Pictured below after the does.) Due in March.

This is Hannah. She's due in March also, but bred to Milo, who'll be pictured below.

This is Georgia. She's due in March, also bred to Milo.

The newest gal of the herd, Orchestra aka Orchy is due in April. Bred to Dream Weaver (I dont own him so know photo of him.)

My nubian bucks.

Zepher

Milo- I love Milo's expression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Re: For those who liked my goats......

What a beautiful face on Orchy. Milo has Beautiful markings too. Are the babies alot of work? Nice herd!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Premier Cat

The bucks are so fuzzy in their winter-woolies! I had a small herd of pygmies when I was in High School. I was unable to keep them contained so we sold them. One sold to a neighbor, my young buck Jotunn, and I was able to see him mature to about age 5 before they moved away. His horns were nice sized, but his father's horns were impressive! They curled all the way around, like a bighorn sheep's horns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thankyou

Quote:
Are the babies alot of work? Nice herd!
Honestly, yes they are. We raise our kids on CAE prevention. All births are attended, all kids are removed immediately and raised on pasturized goats milk. So I have to feed the kids several times a day, pasturize milk twice a day ect ect.

It's worth it in the end. I dont find many people wanting to buy kids that are dam raised any more.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Premier Cat

What is the difference between dam and bottle raised? Are they selling as meat goats?

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Premier Cat

More babies on the forum- YAY!.

Your goats are very beautiful. I can't imagine all the work involved in hand raising them, however. You're a good MOm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Dam raised- Are that, they are dam raised, the mother raises them.
Bottle raised- They are fed a bottle.

NOW the difference that I do, is I raise on CAE prevention, if I didn't, I wouldn't bother with pulling the kids. Too much work.

I milk the does twice a day, pasturize all the milk the kids eat. That prevents CAE from being passed from dam to kid. It's passed via colostrum/milk. Now I'm pretty sure considering where my girls are from, everyone is clean and there wouldn't be any problems with CAE but these are show goats. They aren't pets, they aren't going to be butchered in a few months, these are goats people will want to show so there for they are looking for disease free or CAE tested/or kids raised on CAE prevention.

People are willing to pay a better price for disease free healthy goats.

I hear all the time, buyers asking are they CAE Negative or are they raised on CAE prevention ect ect. Even I ask those questions now. Lol.

SO I always raise the purebred kids on CAE Prevention.

Quote:
More babies on the forum- YAY!.

Your goats are very beautiful. I can't imagine all the work involved in hand raising them, however. You're a good MOm.
Thankyou.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

WOW! I've heard raising Nubians is a passion...
Do you make goats-milk cheese?
Do you get milk from them? I would say that these are top-grade show-goats. I don't know much about goats,but the Nubians I saw at the local fair seemed scrawny,and dopey. Yours look ready to charge! Does mating season ever get violent?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Cat Addict

Cute goats! I had a childhood friend who raised and showed goats for 4-H. They can be tedious to work with. I've gotten to taste goat milk and cheese - didn't like either of them. blech!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Nope we dont make cheese. We are planning on making goat milk soap.

2kids3cats4me- Dont be so quick to write off goats milk...the taste of the milk will reflect the management of the herd.

My girls get alfalfa hay /alfalfa pellets. Grain I mix myself, free choice minerals, baking soda and they ALWAYS have clean fresh water. I tasted their milk and compared it to another person's herd. The other person herd was so nasty and left a nasty after taste in my mouth. I tried Delilah's milk and it was quite good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page