Unemployment is about 7 weeks behind!!! Update 3/20 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Unemployment is about 7 weeks behind!!! Update 3/20

I was laid off on Jan 23rd and processed my claim on Monday the 26th. The website said it may take up to 30 days to process. On Friday I saw a message that said if it's been more than 21 days to call, so I did. They left me a message a little while ago that they are processing claims from the week ending Jan 10th. That means it will be 3 more weeks before they get to mine which will be a total of 7 weeks. And who knows how long after that to actually get back payment!!!! I understand that they're swamped but this is ridiculous. I'm OK for now, but there a plenty of people out there that I'm sure this is really hurting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Unemployment is about 7 weeks behind!!!

That's terrible! I know that when my son signed up for unemployment he was desperately waiting for his first check to arrive in 2 weeks! He would never have made it for 7 weeks.

I'm glad that you are ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat

Sign of the times, isn't it. You'd think they were staffed to meet demand where it's such a critical area to people. I mean, we're not talking about a waiting list for Super Bowl tickets.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

Wow! Glad you are doing ok, but oh my word, the poor folks out there just waiting for some help! Sign of the times is right, and it isn't looking like it's going to get better anytime soon.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

A friend of mine works is the unemployment office in Metairie. His job is secure.
Thoughts and purrayers that those checks come through.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u

that happened to my hubby too, but when they caught up to him, he got a HUGE check, 5 weeks worth.. just keep doing your weekly claims. Good Luck to you. Hubby is still unemployed and Unemployment ran out in December.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Update....

Based on being about 7 weeks behind I figured they should have gotten to me by last week. So I called a week ago Wed....

It seems I was an "OVERSIGHT"!!!!!! Apparently they decided that I needed to apply to Massachusetts instead of NH, but never bothered to tell me!!!!! I had to go to a local NH office and fill out paperwork to transfer the claim. The two witches behind the desk were less than helpful and one of them went on about how the Wages dept (the people that told me to go to the local office) were shoving their work on the local offices blah, blah, blah. All this and the place is empty. I managed to get the form filled out and walked out with the phone number for the office manager, who wasn't in, but might be able to answer my questions if I called her the next day.

When I got home I was reading the Mass website and it said that transferring the claim to them would take about 4 WEEKS! By then it would be almost 3 months without a check!!!! I called the office manager the next day, she was helpful, and we decided to have me withdraw my NH claim and apply directly to Mass.

So I call Mass. They wouldn't talk to me because it was Thursday and they'll only talk to people with a 2 at the end of their SS# on Friday. I also fax my withdrawl letter to NH.

On Friday I call Mass to file my claim. After 5 minutes of press 1 for this and 2 for that, entering my SS# and date of birth and listening to lectures on what constitutes unemployment fraud, they tell me that all representatives are busy, call back later and hang up on me. GRRRRRRR! This went on for 2.5 hours. I finally get through, get the claim made and all is good.

On Monday I get a message from NH asking what state I actually worked in. I call back and leave a message with the info, dreading that they were going to call again saying that sending me to Mass was a mistake. I get a call from them again this morning, asking the same stinkin' question. Get it straight with her and then she tells me she needs a letter stating I'm withdrawing my claim...hello! I faxed that to you on Thursday!

The good news is that Mass fast tracked my payments and I received a bunch of checks this week and I'm now up to date!!! Also in the good news department....Mass payments are $200 more a week than NH. I still have one issue I need to work with them, but other than the phone system, they seem to have their act together. And I did call this morning (I can still only call on Friday) and got through in 15 minutes.

Whew! This whole thing was pretty ugly! But in the end, I'm glad I was transferred to Mass.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Unemployment is about 7 weeks behind!!! Update 3/20

That's just nightmarish. I can't believe what you had to go through!

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Cat Addict

Yikes! At least the payments will be coming in now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Cat Addict

I'm so glad it finally worked out for you! What an unbelievable hassle! I feel sorry for people who are not very paperwork literate to begin with. At least it sounds as if you know how to get things done.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page