Please keep my church in your thoughts & prayers... *UPDATE* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Please keep my church in your thoughts & prayers... *UPDATE*

On Saturday about a dozen people from our church plus the pastor and his wife are heading to Anapra, Mexico, for a mission trip to build a few homes and spread the gospel. Anapra is a "slum" suburb of Juarez, Mexico. It's just across the border from El Paso, TX, and it has a very high crime rate.

The mission group is going to work in Anapra during the daylight hours and stay in El Paso during the nights. This will be at least the third time my church has been there but my understanding is that crime has gotten much worse since the last time they were there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Please keep my church group in your thoughts and prayers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
...but my understanding is that crime has gotten much worse since the last time they were there.
You aren't kidding! I just saw a news report within the last few days that interviewed law enforcement investigators who say the American towns on the Mexican border are like war zones, not just because of drugs/crime, but the gun-power the criminals are carrying. I cannot imagine over the border and actually in Mexico.
*thoughts/prayers that everyone remaines safe*

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

My prayers will be with them. A group from the church where I was the organist went several years. I really wanted to go, but something always interfered. They also went to help in building homes, etc.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

Sending positive thoughts for safe travels.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Premier Cat

Thoughts and prayers for them. Fingers and paws crossed, too.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We went to Lent services last night and got an update on the mission in Mexico. Things are going great and as of yesterday they have both houses up, completely framed and sheetrocked, and were working on the roofs.

It was really humbling to hear how tiny these houses are, 12 x 24 feet. That's about the size of my kitchen and dining room combined! But I guess coming from where they are, having lived in anything they could find to cover their heads, a 12 x 24 house is probably a mansion to them. I'll never forget when Pastor told a story of one of the previous trips to Mexico that they had made. They built a house for an elderly lady and she absolutely wept and thanked them so much because now she had a roof over her head and stable walls that would not let the dirt blow in and dirty her bed sheets every night.

One of the houses is going to an elderly lady who lives alone and the other is going to a multigenerational household with 8 people. I guess these families are selected by the mission church in Mexico that our church works with when they go down there.

Please continue to pray for their safety as they do God's work there and then travel back home. I think they will be coming back sometime Saturday.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Please keep my church in your thoughts & prayers... *UPDATE*

Very relieved to hear how well things are going for the mission project. I bet those families fully appreciate their new homes. Such nice gestures for them, to help their lives. Your church has done a great thing.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I can only imagine what a blessing your church group must be to those people. My prayers are with them.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like an interesting and rewarding time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The mission group made it home just fine about about 1:00 in the morning on Sunday. The ones I got a chance to talk to said the trip went wonderfully without any skirmishes, save one instance where they were crossing the border into Mexico and the border patrol didn't speak English. The translator that was sent with the mission group was in the back of the van and the border patrol was unpleasant and really didn't want to wait to talk to him. Pastor said it was kind of intimidating not being able to communicate with one another and there the guy is standing with a machine gun, but they knew the Lord was with them and everything turned out okay.

As always, Pastor said it's a huge reward in itself to be able to see the people's faces when they receive the key to their brand-new home that actually has secure walls, windows and doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page