horseback riding people,please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

horseback riding people,please

I have been taking horseback riding lessons for two seasons and this is my first winter.
this winter riding is only possible now,because my teacher has build an arena.
over the last two years i was coming along just fine until two weeks ago.
The Arena is very noise
Wind rattling the doors,snow falling of the roof....
Two weeks ago,i was doing weaves,when a large amount of snow slid of the roof with a loud boom.
My Horse spooked and bucked me of
I landed pretty hard on my back,head.My head was fine,due to wearing a helmet,but my back was badly bruised and i must of done something to my right shoulder,it's hurting ever since.
Now I have developed a Fear of riding.
I did go for another lesson last week,she put me on a lounge on a more seduce horse and even took the lounge off for the last 15 min.I did fine.
My next lesson is tomorrow and instead of looking forward to ride ,I'm thinking of canceling.I'm scared!!
Can anybody tell my how to get over my fear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: horseback riding people,please

What a shame! That was a freak accident, but I know it hurts just as much. It would be sad if it kept you away from something you would like to do. I have only ridden a few times in my life, but I love horses, and dreamed of having one as a child. I hope you will go to your lesson. Once you get there, if you feel frightened and can't go forward, just pet those lovely animals, and go back the next week. I hope all goes beautifully, though!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Cat Addict

Boy, do I know all about this, both as a rider and as an instructor.

The only way to get over it is to go do it. So long as you are physically well enough to ride, just sitting at home and thinking about what happened and what could happen if you ride again is the worst thing you could do. We humans have a way of scaring ourselves so badly!

Do what you did last time. Start off longeing and see how your horse behaves. If the snow is still noisy or there is wind, it might not be a good day to go off the longe, and that's okay. It's okay to be nervous! Horses are big animals who can be unpredictable and make bad choices. Take it slow, with your instructor's help. After a few weeks back in the saddle, you'll remember that the bad days are very few, and that the good days are what make riding worth it.

Get out there and ride that horse! Remember all the great times you had, and how it was just a silly, freak thing that made your horse afraid. Things like that just don't happen very often.

And remember: the only people who are never afraid of horses are very stupid people indeed. You will do great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabine
My next lesson is tomorrow and instead of looking forward to ride, I'm thinking of canceling. I'm scared!!
Can anybody tell my how to get over my fear?
Only you will be able to conquer your fear, but rest assured, there ARE some tricks to help you overcome it:

First, your instructor needs to be someone you TRUST and who is CARING and UNDERSTANDING of your fear. It doesn't matter if the fear is rational or irrational, the fact that the fear is *there* is enough to make it very real for you and it will affect how you are able to conduct yourself and progress in your riding skills.

Second, you need to speak truthfully with your instructor about your fears. How both the fall and injury have affected you with pain and the fear you feel now. You need to let your instructor know how reluctant you were to attend your lesson because of that fear. In addition, you need to understand the horse did not buck you off deliberately, it was probably frightened because of the noise, too, and reacted instinctively to its' flight/fight adrenaline rush.
Something else I would like to point out...horses are VERY sensitive. This is an animal that can feel a tiny fly land on it's hide. My current horse Tigre is VERY sensitive. I cannot put any leg on her at all and she rides with seat-cues. I remember this past fall when she and I walked through a cobweb. I am DEATHLY afraid of spiders and I flinched backwards when I felt the cobweb on my face. Tigre ALSO flinched and jumped. She did this because I jumped so she reacted to my fear expecting whatever had frightened me was also going to be bad for her so she jumped, too.

Third, you and your instructor need to progress with baby steps, the lessons also need to be "fun" with a goal of distracting you from your fear so you CAN have fun and gain confidence over controlling your mount. The instructor will also need to push you just a little beyond your comfort-zone at the end of each lesson.
*It is in this regard that your instructor will need to become more of a counselor to help you beyond your fears. If your instructor cannot be the encouraging person you need them to be at this time, then I would urge you to find an instructor who will be able to do this and make you feel good about your small achievements and not belittle you for being reluctant. I hate to bring this up, but if you don't attend lessons and decide to drop out completely, they will lose that income from you.*

Finally, you need to ease up on yourself. If your next lesson only involves grooming, tacking-up the horse, leading it around the arena on foot, mounting it at the mounting block to sit still and breathe for one minute, then dismounting and untacking the horse...
Then you need to be proud of being able to do that!
Yes, your heart will pound and it may require several sessions of doing only that before you can dismount without your heart pounding...but when your fear begins to ease up and/or you are able to master your fear, then you are ready to proceed to more forward baby steps. The importance is having an instructor who sees, understands and will allow you to progress at whatever pace is comfortable for you and knowing just what tiny bit to push forward with, without making you feel bad. Let it take as long as it takes.

Yes, it can be done, and I am sure you can do it! Wishing you the best of luck,
Heidi

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh Wow,what great answers.Such wise ,making sense advise.Thank all of you so much.
I do trust my instructor.She is an excellent teacher
I will go to my lesson,talk to her and do some baby steps.I'm scarred,but I do love riding and horses to much to just give up.
I let you all know how it went.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Premier Cat

I know how you feel, all to well! I've had many mishaps over the years, and you just have to push yourself through that fear. Lots of good advise here, and I have to agree with aphrodeia, if it's windy, and things are bumping and banging, it's maybe not a good day to ride. I know I try to avoid those days, especially with the driving horse. Also, stick with a horse you know is a bit more mellow, and laid back.

Hope all went well, just take your time, and work through it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

How did i do yesterday
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... 014261.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... 014291.jpg
pretty good don't you think?
It was a none windy day and there was no snow on the roof,that put me a little at ease
this is my favorite horse.I LOVE him.
I was still scarred,but everything went well.We did some longing at first and after she had me walking and trotting,while concentrating on my seat She did an excellent job to keep my mind from being scarred
I'm not totally over it,but i do look forward to my next lesson
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Premier Cat

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!! And an APPY too! Love appies!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Cat Addict

I told you it would be fine!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Premier Cat

Yay! And you were on an Appy! (I'm another Appy fan)
You looked cold, all bundled up. What are the temps like outside vs inside the arena?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page