I gave in to temptation and bought them - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I gave in to temptation and bought them

I've been reading on the forum about all the book fanciers here and I felt a little dumb, to be perfectly honest, that I've never been a novel reader. I had lots of trouble with comprehension in junior high school and up and the fear of trying to sit down with a book and interpret it has always stuck with me.

Well, anyway, I remember a few authors I fancied as a kid and wanted to start out slow and work my way into some heavier material. I went to our local Barnes & Noble and ordered the entire 9-book Little House series from Laura Ingalls Wilder. As it turns out, it was cheaper for me to have it shipped to the house versus shipped to the store and having to pick it up, and I just received them tonight. I have to work for about an hour after which I'm going to crack the first book open and start all over again. I plan on lending the books to my mom for a little light reading when I'm through with them and I'll pass them down to my daughter when she's old enough for these books (4 years or so).

I hope this is the start of a long, continual journey for me. I do still tend to like autobiographical stories the best (the Chicken Soup books), probably stemming from the comprehension issue, but I hope to branch out into other types of books. I've never been a fan of mysteries, though, so I'll have to explore other avenues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: I gave in to temptation and bought them

I think you've made a good choice to start, Jo. Warning! Reading is addictive. (happily so)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

I think once you get-into-the-swing-of-things with reading that your reading and comprehension skills will improve and you will find you enjoy it and will want to read more books. I am a big fan of the young adult books, some of those authors are amazing and they can write a very engaging story that captivates and transports the reader. My only problem with young adult books is that I feel they are a bit on the 'short' side. I prefer good, long novels of between 500-900 pages.

Here is a list of young adult books, from my 1998 presentation of The Best New Young Adult Books of 1998, you may enjoy and would be able to share with your children as they grow older:
Silverkiss by AC Klause (vampires?)
Rules of the Road and Squashed by Joan Bauer
Freak the Mighty and Max the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
Treasures in the Dust by Tracey Porter (story told as letters between penpals from CA and OK, the dust bowl)
The Wild Kid and Snowbound by Harry Mayer
The Maze by Will Hobbs (great author of teen adventure stories)
Sirena and Stones in the Water by Donna Jo Napoli
PS Longer Letter Later by Paula Danziger (great author) and Ann Martin
Trapped! by Lois Duncan
River Danger and Second Stringer by Thomas Dygard (action/adventure/suspense)
Whirligig by Paul Fleischman (at-risk kid who must travel and build whirligigs as restitution for accidentally killing another kid)
A Year With Butch and Spike by Gail Gauthier (about a kid who must sit between B&S and finally realizes they are okay. Funny!)
The Pirate's Son by Geraldine McCaughrean (action/adventure with a strong girl character)
Achingly Alice and SangSpell by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Islander by Cynthia Rylant (lovely written fantasy story)
Jungle Dogs by Graham Salisbury (sibling conflice where the antagonistic older brother becomes a positive character)
Stay True by Marilyn Singer (short stories for girls)
The Boxes by William Sleater (horror/fantasy)

Gary Paulsen, great author, numerous action/adventure, growing up and maturing with responsibility books. Has several books about the Iditarod race that he has competed in. Great for boys but girls will like them, too.
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/gar ... n/library/

Best New Young Adult Books of 2008 by ALA (American Library Association) and YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association)
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa ... 08bbya.cfm
2007 top Ten
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa ... topten.cfm
Alex Award for 2007
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa ... alex07.cfm

You can search more Top Ten books by entering "Best New Young Adult Books (whatever year)" into your search engine. Many good authors will be repeats on the lists.
Happy reading!
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Warning! Reading is addictive. (happily so)
I hope your right. Another thing I've found so strange for years is that I easily get tired eyes while reading, although that doesn't happen near as often on the computer. I sit here for at least 8 hours a day and never once complaint of tired eyes. Hopefully some good reading material makes it easier to stay awake.

Thanks for the suggestions, Heidi!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Premier Cat

Sorry if this is a duplicate, Jo, but sometimes reading fatigue is due to eye strain. You may need glasses.
If you can afford it, it can't hurt to get your eyes checked.
The Hobbit, and the Lord of The Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien are timeless classics. I make it a point to re-read these every few years. It's amazing how small details of the stories pop out on a second, third, or even fourth, read.
The Dune series by Frank Hebert is really good, too, even though they have some tedious parts.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Premier Cat

I have trouble with comprehension now due to brain fog. I find that if I can get into a series of books where the main characters tend to stay the same helps a lot. This way I am only having to learn new side characters between books.

Too bad that you don't like mysteries. I could tll you of many series where you get the added bonus of things like recipes. If you ever want to give them a try I have a great suggestions for a first author (well, besides Agatha Christie and the Nancy Drew series).

Jeanie is so right that reading is addictive!!!

Oh, and John is right...go get your eyes checked. Also make sure that you have enough light where you are trying to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Cat Addict

The Little House series is an excellent one to start with. I read them aloud to my sons when they were young and we all loved them.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Harry Potter series. They were all wonderful and by reading them now instead of when they were coming out you don't have to wait in suspense for the next one to be published.
Another way of "reading" if you have comprehension issues is books on tape. My brother is dyslexic and he always did much better if he could hear the book instead of read it. I love listening to them while I clean or do any mindless kind of work. They make the jobs much less tedious.

Sue

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Jr. Cat

I loved the Little House on the Prairie books! When my first nephew was born, the collection was given to him and the books keep getting passed down to the next generation.

Another series you might like are the Chronicles of Narnia.

I too have just returned to reading. When hubby was in the Navy and out to sea for months at a time, I read like a mad woman and I think I burned myself out a bit. That was 10 years ago and I'm just now starting the Twilight series.

Have fun Jo!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. LOTR and Narnia just aren't my kind of subject matter. Neither would be Harry Potter. I've never been into that fantasy stuff. I like lighthearted material; things that give you that warm, fuzzy feeling. Yes, I'm a sap!

As far as eye fatigue, though, why would I never have headaches - and I truly mean never? I don't remember the last time I had a headache. My eyesight was just checked within the last 6 months and was still overcorrected at 20/15. It's been that way since I was little I've never had to strain to see anything, but maybe it does have something to do with lighting.

I finally got settled last night at about 11:40 and began the first book of the Little House series. It only took me 20 minutes to get through the first 38 pages and then I had to stop because hubby wanted to sleep. A lot of the issues I think I'll be encountering with reading now has to do with a busy life. I'll have to make time to read right before bed; that's about the only time right now that I can see it fitting in. I actually haven't watched TV all week except to see NCIS (love that show!). I do kind of feel like I'm betraying the TV.

As far as books I think I might be interested in - has anyone here read Marley & Me? I know the movie is based on a book and I never did get around to seeing the movie yet. The movie caught some bad criticism but I wonder if the book was better.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Cool Cat

If Little House on the Prairie appeals to you, perhaps try LM Montgomery (I loved her Emily of New Moon series), and Louisa May Alcott...everyone loves Little Women. Her gothic romances are intriguing, as are all of her more family-friendly novels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page