Healthy food ideas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Healthy food ideas

I think I may (touch wood) by slowly recovering from being ill (I really haven't felt well this week) and the off-shoot of it is, I need to look after myself better.

I'm not a breakfast person. Not good at facing food until about 10am (by which time I'm hungry and will grab a bag of crisps (potato chips to you folks across the pond), but I know its an important meal. Lunch is currently usually nothing at all, or (as was the case yesterday) someone will bring in a horribly unhealthy snack such as doughnuts (Krispy Kreme they were .. yummy). Dinner can be healthy, but only if I have the motivation to cook. I like cooking but seeing as I'm often not in until around 8-9pm during the week I don't always do it.

Anyway, this has to change somewhat so does anyone have any healthy ideas for luncboxes (nice sandwich fillings or salads for example) or quick cook healthy dinners?

All contributions appreciated.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Healthy food ideas

I used to never eat breakfast. I get stomach ache if I eat too early in the morning, and sometimes still do. In terms of weight (for me and loosing it) once I started eating breakfast (just branflakes with blue top milk- not even the healthiest milk) I was loosing more weight. Breakfast gives your metabolism the kick it needs to really get started.

At the moment for me, cause I'm working on loosing weight a typical day is:

Breakfast- Branflakes or shreddies, about 30g with 100-150ml milk (blue top)
Snack- Apple (around 10.10- break time at the school)
Lunch- Muller Light yoghurt
Dinner- (In the evenings I go to the gym and on Fridays have cricket training, I often don't eat until 8-9pm, so it is always something quick.) Chicken & rice with light soy sauce, chicken & potatoes, chicken & noodles, healthy living pork with rice or noodles or potatoes, healthy living steak with rice, noodles or potatoes.

At the weekends I'm not so strict with my eating, I relax and within reason and sense eat what I enjoy. For me with loosing weight I can do that and still loose weight each week.

The healthy living chicken, beef and pork I just chuck in a frying pan with 1 spray of healthy cooking spray thingy, when I have potatoes it takes a bit longer, but you can chuck them in the steamer and forget about them- relax while they are cooking. The biggest change I found for healthier eating is to get away from all the "quick" pre packaged stuff and do it myself.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Cool Cat

If you really can't face breakfast, pack snacks the night before and take them into work with you.

Snack suggestions:

fruits of all sorts
Cheeses & summer sausage (no idea what that is called anywhere else, it's like a hard slicing sausage)
crackers (like a saltine or something, what do Brits call crackers?? I mean, I know cracker means something else over there, but they still have crackers, right??)
a roll or bagel and some cream cheese
dried fruits and nuts (trail mix)
yogurt and a 1/2 cup of granola
breakfast bars or granola bars
A boiled egg and some raw veg (carrots, celery, broccoli)

Try to make sure there is some kind of protein in your first meal of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Cat Addict

bacon, eggs and beef.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

One of my friends divorced in the spring of 2008. She is diabetic, but she doesn't go see Doctors because of a lack of insurance, so she controls it with diet and she appears to do a very good job. She currently eats mostly meat and vegetables, no sugars, bread, crackers or alcohol. About the time-frame, of her divorce, she landed a job in Downtown Atlanta three days a week, which means about an hour + commute to drive in and then pick up either a bus or MARTA (metro Atlanta rapid transit authority) to downtown.
Point being: she doesn't have a lot of time to cook. Also, her teenage son graduated HS and has gone away to college, so she is home alone. This translates to: not much reason to cook.

For the Holiday Season this past year, I bought her a "crock pot". (also called a Slow Cooker)
http://www.crock-pot.com/
It had an insert inside the box with some recipies and I printed up a couple of my favorites and she is now a Crock Pot Queen! She can slap the ingredients together the night before, assemble them into the crockpot in the morning (or do it the night before and leave it in the fridge) plug it all in and off to work she goes! The next evening, she can remove it from the fridge, plug it in and do all of her property chores (livestock feeding) and when she comes in she can have a shower and then dinner is all warmed up and ready for her and she can eat and relax before going to bed instead of having to cook.

I love my Crock Pot. Many times my health problems prevent me from standing at a stove for any length of time and the crockpot turns out some great meals with very little effort. Most of the foods can be served in different ways (in a plate/bowl, in a tortilla, in a pita bread or shredded for sandwiches) AND if it is too much food to eat too many times in a row...many of the recipe end-products are freezable into individual serving size ziplock bags for quick/easy meals later on!

Give it a try and see if it is something you may like...
heidi

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Cool Cat

Pick your favorite fruits & veggies & grains & just eat what you love most. Like strawberries? Eat a bunch of strawberries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Like cereal? Eat a nice, non-sugary cereal for breakfast (wheat cereals vs. marshmallow). Want a sweet munchie? Eat more more berries! Or a red bell pepper! You can drag fruit and cereal bars anywhere with you, and eat loads more of them than you can something less healthy. I've figured out that by ignoring the traditional concept of a "meal" it becomes sooo easy to stick to lifestyle changes. Take healthy things you love but which you consider little accessories to meals, and then eat them as meals instead. Instead of having, say, beef + mashed potatos + lettuce for dinner because it's a "good meal"...just eat a heap of favorite fruits & actually tasty veggies (not lettuce...think bell peppers! Carrots! Asparagus! My favorite dinner is a grapefruit or two.). Also, if you feel hungry, drink water first. It's proven that most "hunger" pains are actually dehydration, and proper hydration is half of health.

I've lost 45 pounds in six months since started eating like that...I still feel like an indulging, joyous little kid when I eat hoards of fruits...it costs less money...I'm never sick, I have tons of energy...it works, I'm telling you lol. Fruit & granola bars have no prep time, can be carried in my purse, and I only get compliments when I'm caught eating them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was reading too fast and thought this said Miller Light......

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
I think Miller Light should be on any good diet.

Anyway, how about cheese sticks for something quick and healthy. Also oatmeal packets in the microwave are good and keep well at work. Who says breakfast foods have to only be eaten at breakfast?

Sue

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
tut tut!
Actually the first time I typed it I hit i instead of u hehe. (But that was before you read it, so no excuses for ur thoughts!)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Let's see...most light yogurts have about a hundred calories, Miller Light has about a hundred calories. I'd say either one is a fine choice!

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page