Is this a scam? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Is this a scam?

I listed my current camera for sale on Craigs List, thinking I would be able to sell it before my new camera is ordered, and use the funds for an additional lens. I just got this response. Normally, I can recognize scammers right away, but I wondered about this one. Scam..........not a scam? I say scam!

Hello my name is martins,i am interested in buying your item listed on CL, Please let me know if its still for sale and perhaps in good condition and I await your response and i will proceed with purchase if its still for sale and in good condition i also want you to know that I will be buying from you so please kindly withdraw the advert from CL. Please be informed that i will be paying with a certified check from my Bank as i just moved here from Glendale AZ on a job transfer.I will need the following details to mail the payment later
in the day ...

1.Name to be on the payment
2.Home address
3.Cell phone #

I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered within 2-3 working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via email I await your response and i will proceed with purchase if its still for sale and in good condition

Thanks God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Is this a scam?

BIG scam. Don't do it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't feel right to me either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Alright, he's gonna get my favorite response............."How dare you take advantage of people, and try to scam them out of their hard earned money! Loser.............get a life, get a job, and earn your money like everyone else..........honestly!"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
Alright, he's gonna get my favorite response............."How dare you take advantage of people, and try to scam them out of their hard earned money! Loser.............get a life, get a job, and earn your money like everyone else..........honestly!"
Good for You, Geri! The things that really paint "SCAM!!!" all over this is the way they do not specifically state what they are buying, they want your info two days in advance,(What?! ) and the only way to contact them is by e-mail. BIG TIME LOSERS!!!!!

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

It's always a dead giveaway to me when they don't ask any questions about the product and start dictating the terms of the deal in the first email. And I always use Paypal for all transactions...buying or selling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't respond at all - if you do, they'll have your email address!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Banned

I don't see where the scam is. The scam is typically that they offer you way more than your asking price, then ask you to send them a check for some reason for the balance. The check they send you turns out to be worthless, while the check you sent them is cashed and you're out both. This guy isn't asking for any money. If you don't ship until you get the certified check and then verify with the issuing bank (NOT your bank) to make sure it's genuine (and of course it has to be a legit bank, look them up) I don't see how you can possibly be scammed. The only thing you'll lose is the exposure from pulling the ad. My guess is if this isn't genuine, it's more likely a ruse to get your contact information rather than your money. He doesn't need your cell number, but he does need your mailing address. I suggest accepting the offer but decline to give out your cell number. And counteroffer that you'll keep the ad up but put in the ad "offer pending"

It might be a scam, it might be legit, but there's no downside if a scam, and the upside if it's legit is you make your sale.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I wouldn't respond at all - if you do, they'll have your email address!
I've got several email addresses I use for stuff that might generate spam. There's no personal information that can be gotten from a web mail account at yahoo, gmail, msn, or the like.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Premier Cat

Something just doesn't seem right. I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK there have been cases where a cheque has cleared, you get the money and somewhere along the line someone realises the cheque isn't genuine and take the money back from you, and this is a good 10 weeks after it has cleared. I find it harder and harder to trust cheques, and the way UK retailers have gone backs that up. I don't know the true story why so many retailers have stopped accepting them, if you read around the reasons vary (time, hassle, so few people use them) but the only common reason that always appears is fraud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page