stress over fencing... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

stress over fencing...

ok, so a few of you know about my de lima with Lola but heres a rundown of the basics:

Lola runs off and its getting worse, i can keep her on a leash every time she is out but then she doesnt get any exercise! soooo really the best option is to fence in an area just for the dogs.

only problem... MONEY! i probably qualify for a store credit card, but i am trying to pay one off already and it is just a little overwhelming to think about 2 payments! its just a really hard decision, i know that in the end it will be so worth it, but i just am having a hard time! any one know what i'm talking about here????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Premier Cat

Re: stress over fencing...

Could you string a temporary cable-tie? High up between two tall things (buildings, fence, trees) I would string a cable about 10' tall. Have a wheeled pulley on the cable with about a 5-8' drop of chain. Have a swivel at the pulley end and at the chain end, where a snap would attach. Use another short length of wrapped cable with snaps and swivels at both ends to attach between Lola's collar and the drop-chain from the cable-tie.
If you are able to place the cable-tie in a manner that she cannot go around and around the base of the cable-tie supports, she could trot/run back/forth between the two anchor points. If she would stay on it longer than an hour, I would provide a permanant shelter (shade, wind, weather) and a bucket of water.
This could work as a temporary exercise option until you are able to fence an area for her to safely run and play.
h

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

i dont want to sound like a boob, but that seems a little complicated! i think i get the idea tho, i have seen those before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Cool Cat

Check with the city before you do that. Ours just outlawed having dogs tied up for any reason.

I have a very small backyard, so we have to supplement with twice a day walks. It means getting up an hour earlier, but those are the things you do for the ones you love. And my Golden is allergic to grass (seriously allergic), so we walk him on the treadmilll. He loves it.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Premier Cat

The run that Heidi described really isn't that complicated. It's kind of like a clothes line between two trees with a pulley on it so that the dog can run back and forth.

You could get garden fencing and metal stakes for less than $100 (depending on hiw big an area that you are going to fence, of course). The nice thing about this is that it works pretty well, and it doesn't have to be permanent.

Good luck to you, I know that you are worried about Lola.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Quote:
Chicken-Wire Creation: Edwin and Juanita Ludwig of Hemet, Calif. built an 8-foot by 9-foot enclosure using mostly 2-by-2s to frame with and 2-by-4s for the base. He covered it with chicken wire and painted it white. Their cat, Raven, is more active now, stalking birds, flies and butterflies from inside the structure, which also holds chairs and other furniture for the Ludwigs to sit, relax and watch Ravenís antics. The enclosure cost about $100 in materials and took less than a day to build.
http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Premier Cat

I believe my husband is planning to do that with our back patio/arbor.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

well we took 2 tie out lines and hooked them together and tied it around a tree by the back porch. she does well, for now it will be fine but im going to try and save up and get a fence built, that should only take a few months so its not too bad!

oh and on a side note: my problem with the cats going out of the litter box has been resolved just by getting another box!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Premier Cat

Man, lucky you. I wish ALL problems could be solved so easily! For Lola, when doing the fence keep in mind if she is a digger or climber. I had to string a low hotwire on the inside of our VERY old fence at the rental we had in California to keep her from busting the slats every time she saw a pheasant. It wasn't nice, but it kept her where she belonged.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Enclosures for cats, such as the ones in the link I posted, have wire on the bottom, top, and all sides.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page