Any nurses, advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Any nurses, advice?

I am having a quarter life crisis, and am very near to committing into a Nursing program.

I will be 26 on the 25th, and I have been working in the same dead end job for 6 yrs now, I enjoy the work(Grounds and Maintenance), but I am a temp. and only make $10 an hr( the most temps can make), and I only work 9 months out of the year(stupid union rules)and make roughly 14k a year. No benefits. I have applied twice for full time and came in second both times, but even then, the most I would ever make is between 20k-35k.
I will be hard pressed to afford my own home working there.....

While I would love to work with plants full time, I also don't want to leave Southeastern Michigan, and I can't see finding a good paying job in that field.

So I am contemplating the Nurse route, it's a good job, pay is good, and there is the need for them. I do have a fear that by the time I graduate, there won't be the need for so many nurses......

I always hear it's never to late to start, though I wish my parents had been more forceful with making me go to College(I have been going one class a semester for years now, for Graphic Design, but I hate computers, I like drawing by hand, and decided to stop wasting my money on that).

I will be around 30-31 when I graduate, my trainer at the farm just started in the Nursing program at Wayne St, because she can't forsee a full time job working with horses(she has a BA in Equine Management from Michigan St. and was trainer at some big wig horse farm in Virgina for a few years) and she is a year older than me......so basically seeing her just go for it, makes me want to too.....I've always felt it is too late for me to go to college full time......

So does anyone have any tips or advice? Know anyone who is or is going to be a nurse......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Any nurses, advice?

I can see the medical profession remaining as a steady need and steady income through almost all things. Everyone needs healthcare at some point. Were I to do it all again, I think I would go to school to become a laboratory technician, x-ray technician or a pharmacist.
One of our neighbors is a nurse and she enjoys her job just fine. She is the nurse at the clinic my husband's GenPrac Dr's office is at.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Cool Cat

You can always get a job as a nurse.
As our population ages, we need more nurses to take care of them. Hospitals, nursing homes, and home health care needs will be growing by leaps and bounds.
There are lots of otions out there for employment, so go for it.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

The baby boomers are aging....the need for good nurses is only going to increase over the next 20 years. And just don't pigeon hole yourself into traditional floor nurse thinking. There are tons of specialties that you can train for right from the beginning. The son of a friend of mine recently graduated and he's a surgical nurse. Went straight in for the big type cases...heart surgery and organ transplants. He loves it. He was actually interviewed for a TV news spot a couple weeks ago on the nursing shortage in the Washington DC area. Here's a link to the page, it's the Innova video on the left hand side, you can see someone in surgical mask...that's Danny.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/station/co ... 4-YOU.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Cat Addict

When I was young the thing I wanted to do most was nursing. Things happened and life got in the way and I never pursued my dream. Speaking as someone over 50 with regrets, I say GO for it and you won't ever have to look back and wish you had done it.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Premier Cat

Do it, do it! There is so much to nursing. Yes, it is lots of paper work, and jumping through hoops, but it is also holding some one's hand when they are afraid. It's working really hard to pick up the clues that the patient is giving you to figure out what is truly going on- whether their stomach pain is nothing, or if they could be dead in the next 10 minutes if you don't do something NOW.

When I graduated from nursing school only 3 of us had come directly out of high school and made it all the way through the program. Everyone else was either a LPN going back for their RN or people starting on a 2nd, or 3rd career. One lady became a grandmother while in school.

You will actually have an advantage over the younger students when it comes to providing direct patient care.

If you have any questions just ask. If I could go back to nursing I would do it in a minute.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Jr. Cat

I so admire ANYONE in the medical field. I say go for it!
BTW, where abouts in Southeastern, Michigan are you? I'm in Manchester, Michigan.

Marsha
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm not a nurse or in nursing school but I wanted to encourage you to go to school.

I'm 32 and just started college again to complete my bachelors in social work. To do what I really want to do I have to get my masters, so by the time I get done with all that I'll be 36 or 37, maybe even 38 depending on how long it takes me to get my masters.

Don't let your age effect your decision to go back to school.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm over(and down I guess) in Dundee.....work in Ann Arbor.
Love Manchester. Cute town. My dad lives over in Napolean, so I drive through there often.

Thanks for the responses guys! You are a big confidence booster........I'm now pretty excited to talk to a counsler at my local community college about there tranfer program.....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Here's a story for you: My BIL's neighbor's best friend just became a nurse and he's 63! He'd been in sales most of his life & was always on the road. He was selling steel products and was told he would be losing what was then his 4th place of employment. He was sick & tired of the traveling and decided to change careers. Since he already had 3 undergraduate degrees he got into an intense fast-track program at Indiana University and completed the courses in 18 months. He absolutely loves what he's doing now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page