General update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

General update

Woot! I graduate my law enforcement program next Saturday. I've lost 45 pounds and can run 1.5 miles in 18.5 minutes now (not happily). My breathing is better. Come next Sunday I'll be able to be certified as a federal firefighter. Next month I'll be trained above First Aid but below EMT level (First Responder). I'm still not remotely hirable in law enforcement lol...but I'm trying. Had an interview with the Audubon Society this week for a part time job; in the meantime, Walmart hired me at over $10/hr to be in my favorite department. I'm embarrassed that it's Walmart, but...I'm so lucky. I've got a job! I start after graduation.

Rotten does well and is her usual, breathtakingly beautiful self in the springish light. My boyfriend adores her and recognizes how extraordinary she is...he was admiring her earlier, telling me how unusual our bond is.

I found my second-favorite Phil Collins CD at a used store yesterday! Yay for "But Seriously".

Spring is coming...I'm so excited I can't stand it. I'm anticipating waking up some morning and suddenly all the grass shall be brilliantly green and wildflowers will be everywhere. I'm sure it will happen overnight. I'll go camping this year. I saw my first Mockingbird today; I got to closely examine my first Cardinal on Wednesday, and saw my first Grackle.

Happy Spring to Everyone! Hope the spring brings light hearts and happy days for everyone in these hard times...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: General update

It sounds as if you're making great progress! Do you go back to school for the other requirements you need? You mentioned becoming a ranger. Is that a forest ranger? Or am I mistaken about that?

I'm glad you got a job!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
It sounds as if you're making great progress! Do you go back to school for the other requirements you need? You mentioned becoming a ranger. Is that a forest ranger? Or am I mistaken about that?

I'm glad you got a job!
I can be anything I want..park ranger, border patrol, game warden, USDA...whatever. It's a very open thing. I'm going to try to go back to school this year, get a bachelor's in something. Probably in wildlife biology. But for the firefighter/first responder/etc, I just volunteer or pay to take another program or the programs are offered free It's just a matter of time donations. A lot of these outdoorsy places try to offer training services to eachother, it seems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds like you are doing very well for yourself. It is quite an accomplishment to lose 45 lbs.!!! It is a good idea to keep going to school. No matter where you end up you can't do wrong with more education. And Wal-Mart is not such a bad place to work. My son worked at Wal-Mart the last few summers while he has been in college.
You sound very happy and I am glad for you. I hope your family is very proud of all you have done.

Sue

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Very Glad to hear you're doing so well, TQ! Working for the Audubon Institute is great. They have good pay and great benefits.
And the more diplomas and certificates you can hang on your wall, the better.
Hugs, and head-butts for Rotten, too!

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

Good for you TQ! Don't forget to keep checking usajobs.com as that is the place for government jobs. Also, americorps.org can help you find volunter programs, and I think a few actually might pay.

WalMart isn't a bad place to work. In this economy, any place to work is a good one.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats T.Q.! I have to say, you sound soooo happy, and this is wonderful! Your positive attitude throughout the last few months has always amazed me, and I have to say, I sure wish I had half the positive outlook on life that you have. Way to go T.Q.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page