Slumdog Millionaire - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Slumdog Millionaire

It looks like it's date night again for hubby and I. My mom is having our kids and my nephew spend the night. We would really like to see Slumdog Millionaire but were wondering if it is in subtitles the whole time or is in English. If it's in subtitles, I don't think either of us could read fast enough to keep up with it.

Looking at the movies available here in town, it's either going to be Slumdog or Tyler Perry's Madea Goes To Jail. We'll just have to decide if we want a good drama or to be able to laugh ourselves silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

It sounds like SM would be a very interesting movie. I read this review and it claims the subtitles are used for the first 1/3rd of the movie and I assume that means the rest would be in english? Regardless, the premise of the movie seems appealing to me, with a great storyline.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00700.html

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Fully deserving of the hype and ignore everyone who says otherwise.

Oh but don't take the kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

It is a must see, and a great date movie. All in English and WONDERFUL!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
It is a must see, and a great date movie. All in English and WONDERFUL!!!!
Thanks! All the information I needed to know. That seals it! We're seeing Slumdog Millionaire tonight, and we're going to my favorite Italian restaurant beforehand.

I am curious, though, because a little bit ago I found a review online which said that about the first one-third of the movie is in Hindu. It even described instead of having the English subtitles running across the bottom of the screen that they decided to put it together in sort of a "comic-strip" style with bubbles of text beside the character's faces when they spoke.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like my perfect kind of evening .. good food (I LOVE Italian) and a excellent film.

Enjoy

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned

It's not all in English.... a good chunk is in Hindi.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

Duh, sorry about that! I was thinking no subtitles. But, still a must see, nonetheless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
...I found a review online which said that about the first one-third of the movie is in Hindu. It even described instead of having the English subtitles running across the bottom of the screen that they decided to put it together in sort of a "comic-strip" style with bubbles of text beside the character's faces when they spoke.
Yeah, I think the link I provided mentioned that, too.
They called it an interesting use of subtitles, and instead it had a more comic-book feel. They didn't say they were in bubbles, though. I guess the director disliked traditional subtitles because the viewer winds up reading the text and only glances here/there at the screen to watch the actors, so he decided to put the text up there with, or next to, the actors. The reviewer didn't say anything bad about them...so I assume the method worked? I think I would be distracted at first, with text in the picture, but after thinking about it...I would probably SEE more of the movie if the text was up where the action was and I didn't have to keep switching from reading at the bottom to looking up at the screen.
Tell us how you liked or didn't like it!
h

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The movie (and the food ) was wonderful! A MUST SEE!

The subtitles were no big deal at all to handle. It was just minimal subtitling throughout; I would say at least 95% of the spoken word was in English. The last 30 minutes of the movie I was actually gripping my hands and cheering for the guy. I don't want to spoil the movie but just want to say that I thought it was wonderful how the scenes came together. If you see it you'll know what I mean.

I'm really glad we finally chose to see this one. I definitely recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page