Going to the Georgia Aquarium today! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Going to the Georgia Aquarium today!

My sister and her son (age 11) are visiting for the week and we are going to the Aquarium today! They have an exhibit from the Titanic on display and we are very interested in seeing it. Titanic is the ship my Grandfather(age 5) and his family (Dad, Mom and baby sister) missed boarding when they were immigrating to America. They would have traveled 3rd class and perished if they had been on time for the ship.
The camera is coming with us! I hope I can get some great photos.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to corinthia
Re: Going to the Georgia Aquarium today!

Have fun! I just went to the Aquarium in New Orleans and it was sooo much fun! Post pictures! (If you have any questions about the sharks feel free to ask me!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoey + Chloe + Maxwell + Apple
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Cat Addict

Wow! Have lots of fun. Can't wait to see pictures.

Funny you should mention the Titanic. Well, not really funny, but anyway...

Our daycare lady's family is vacationing in Vegas next month and the Excaliber hotel has a Titanic exhibit. They are visiting ON THE ANNIVERSARY of the day the ship sank (sunk, whatever it is). I bet it will be packed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Premier Cat

The only aquarium ive been to is at Epcot. It was fabulous. You will have a fantastic time Im sure. I didnt realize atlanta even had an aquarium! I hope you get to see sea turtles!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

14th April.

There's a great exhibition in the civic centre here all about it, and I work less than 5 mins walk from where it set sail.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

Heidi it sounds like a great day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

forgot to say, I LOVE aquariums. The best one I've been to is the very famous one in Baltimore. But there's a pretty cool one in Portsmouth.

At my work, there's a STUNNING tropical marine fish tank, with some gorgeous fish and hermit crabs in. They actually have living coral in it, and it's used as a proper research tool.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Premier Cat

I have never been to an aquarium, but I want to go someday.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Although I live in Georgia, I have not yet been to the Georgia Aquarium, but I've heard that it is the biggest aquarium in the world. Also my brother said that the aquarium is so big that they have a Whale Shark there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers0801
...my brother said that the aquarium is so big that they have a Whale Shark there.
They have TWO. Alice and Trixie.
They used to have a Ralph and Norton, from the Honeymooner's tv show, but the two males expired.

Oh, it looks like there may have been some controversy over housing and displaying whale sharks.
http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-shark14jun14

Anyway, it looks like they are geared to open a dolphin exhibit in 2010.
The Georgia Aquarium was great. Amazing. Huge. Very well laid out.
We entered and sort of worked our way around the exhibits. The Titanic exhibit was awe-inspiring, as always. Husband and I attended the exhibit when it was in Chicago and we were there visiting friends. We also visited the Field Museum and saw, I think, Soldier Field, which was undergoing some rennovations while we were there. It was right across from the Museum and I don't recall if it was the football or baseball (Wrigley) stadium we saw.

I was able to take some photos of the Titanic exhibit...BUT...I didn't see the signs (not wearing glasses) that requested no photography. I was approached and easily complied. They try not to allow photos because the flash of light could damage some of the artifacts. A single camera flash wouldn't do any harm, but if multiple flashes day-after-day were allowed it would damage the artifacts. It was sobering to see the artifacts, many with large underwater photos showing the pieces laying on the ocean floor before they were retrieved. Cothing. Shoes. Dishes settled evenly into the sand like stacked domino's from where the wooden cabinets decomposed around them. Items that belonged to people, and the knowledge that the people who owned them, did not survive.
...and except for a twist of fate/timing, my grandfather was almost a passenger.

The aquarium exhibits were amazing with very inventive displays. Many of the tanks had little 'portholes' to get an up-close view, or overhead tanks so we could see the fish swimming over our heads. A touch pool where my nephew and I were able to feel the slippery skin of a ray. I think our favorite was the glass tunnel where the sea-life swam overhead was amazing. We saw many, many small fish, quite a few large fish and several sharks, manta rays and the whale sharks.
Parking was easy, though the downtown traffic was a bit 'hairy'. I'm just not used to driving among so many cars, but we made it just fine. GoogleMaps was my life-saver!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page