Seriously spooky - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Seriously spooky

Flatmate sleeps in the attic but because of the shape of the room, he also has a tiny little box room next to my bedroom for his wardrobe etc (goodness only knows how one is supposed to squeeze a bed in there, but anyway ..).

Friday, and two days this week (including today) I've come home from work to see the light on in the box room. The first time I didnt think anything of it and just turned it off. The second time, I gently suggested he check he turned the light off in the morning before going to work.

Tonight, I reminded him about it again. He said he didnt understand it, because he didnt remember actually turning it on and then told me that one morning he had gone for a shower, come back upstairs and then noticed it on when he could have sworn he hadnt turned it on.

I didnt dare tell him that I noticed the light that had been on earlier this evening had then been turned off later ... but not by me. It was on, and then it wasnt.

Can anyone think of a rational reason for this, or shall we just call up the local exorcist?

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Seriously spooky

Could it be an electrical malfunction? We'll have to wait for Master Electrician John to weigh in on that one, although you might want to get Mia Dolan on speed dial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Premier Cat

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh.

My husband did electrical work for a friend to help his business out when the friend was injured and recovering. They received a call to an apartment whose electrical bill was huge. Astronomical, for only two people who both worked out of the home. They tested everything they could find; breaker panel, outlets, switches, fixtures, everything. When they came to the kitchen and pulled out the fridge to check its' outlet, they noticed a small hole in the wall with an electrical cord plugged in, leading to a strip thing (the thing that gives you like, 7 places to plug items in?) in the NEXT apartment.
Police were called and there was some 'splainin' to do for the next-door neighbors!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

It's what we've always feared about flatmat.

The lights are on, but nobody's home.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe the explanation is a wiring problem where a switch somewhere else in the flat turns on two lights at the same time? We've got a couple of switches in our house that don't seem to turn on anything at all - the front of the house was remodelled a little to move the front door, so maybe that is why, and sometimes when it is really windy the motion sensor light in the front hall will pop on by itself even if no one has walked by...

Fran
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Yeeeeaaaaahhhh.

My husband did electrical work for a friend to help his business out when the friend was injured and recovering. They received a call to an apartment whose electrical bill was huge. Astronomical, for only two people who both worked out of the home. They tested everything they could find; breaker panel, outlets, switches, fixtures, everything. When they came to the kitchen and pulled out the fridge to check its' outlet, they noticed a small hole in the wall with an electrical cord plugged in, leading to a strip thing (the thing that gives you like, 7 places to plug items in?) in the NEXT apartment.
Police were called and there was some 'splainin' to do for the next-door neighbors!
Oh my!!! wow.
I have a story to share as well.
When I worked for the damage dept a lady claimed her TV among other electronic devices were fried because our cable wasn't grounded properly attracting a lightning strike.. well we send one of our field supervisors to her house and guess what? Her electronic devices fried because she was using one of our NIU's to get free cable!!
Technically she should have been responsible for the damage caused to our NIU.. but we told her to walk away while she could!
Shady connections I tell ya!!

Maria
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73

There's your answer.

Could it be Toby?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

We have wondered if it is Toby. He loves sitting on a desk by the window in there in the mornings because the sun comes though there at that time. But unless he randomly decides to jump straight up the wall for no apparent reason, I'm not sure how he would be able to reach the light switch. Its certainly nowhere near the window.

Of course, he is cat, so who knows what logic he might come up with for jumping up and randomly pressing on a light switch?

Frans answer sounds interesting. My landladys husband did all the wiring in the house and there are two light switches downstairs that apparently do nothing at all ....

This morning I waited until flatmate had gone to work and checked myself that the light was definately off. I'm going to be most intrigued if its on again tonight ....

p.s. You are very naughty, Marie

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page