Resume Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to JewelFilly
Resume Help!

Well it's finally time for me to enter the "real world". I'll be done with college in May and need to start applying for jobs now so I can have $ when those fun student loans need to be repaid! I've been working on my resume but since I'm not a manager or someone who looks at dozens for resumes I need someone or multiple people to take a look at my resume! My college adviser gave me her feedback but I figure the more feedback the better! Thanks! I'll be happy to post it here if I have any replies!

Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Resume Help!

I've looked at and written lots of resumes over the years...sure go ahead and post it or PM it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM

doodlebug - do you know a good sight with resume examples posted?
something with various kinds, that you don't have to join to explore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

No, I don't have anything like that at my fingertips....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Here are enough sites to choose from.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=re ... esume+help

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Cat Addict

If you just google "resume" there are dozens of free sites that come up. My oldest son is in the same situation you are - graduates May 16th. I have even been to many of these free sites myself to update my resume because these days you just never know...

Sue

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I took a short class in college on how to write a resume. Just some things to remember...don't print it on colored paper. Believe it or not, when I was in HR, we did receive some on pink resume paper...I know people want their resume to stand out but that's not how to do it. Also, write all your past jobs in past tense and your current job (if you have one) in current tense. Try to limit your resume to one page. Employers like to get the jist of what you are saying in one page rather than reading much more than that. State at the top of you resume your objective. You can easily change it to apply more towards whatever job you are applying for. If your GPA isn't "good", don't put it on there. Employers can ask you what it is but try first without putting it on there if you aren't proud of it.

That's all I have right now...will post more if I think of any tips.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to JewelFilly

Thanks so much for all the replies! Congrats Sue on your son graduating! Here's my resume I just figured I would post it here for all to judge!

Jess

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Premier Cat

One thing you might consider is establishing a separate e-mail address (such as [email protected]) that isn't linked to the name you use on forums, myspace, etc. Potential employers do search the net, and perhaps you have posted things that you wouldn't want a person considering you for a job to read.

You might also consider finding a way to sum up your course of study as specific areas of expertise rather than listing individual courses. As Heather mentioned, making it concise will increase your chances of someone reading it. A longer resume would be more appropriate if you had years of relevant work experience.

Hope this helps Lots of luck with your search!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Cat Addict

Regarding your objective, it may be better to choose what you consider to be your most marketable strengths and word them in a way that will show how your strengths and skills will benefit the company your are applying to. Many companies that are receiving a great deal of resumes will first look at the objectives. An objective that is very general or does not stand out will not make it past the first screening.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page